aspose file tools*
The moose likes Websphere and the fly likes Setting up Teradata DataSource in WSAD 5.1.2 Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Soft Skills this week in the Jobs Discussion forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Products » Websphere
Bookmark "Setting up Teradata DataSource in WSAD 5.1.2" Watch "Setting up Teradata DataSource in WSAD 5.1.2" New topic
Author

Setting up Teradata DataSource in WSAD 5.1.2

Stacey Roach
Greenhorn

Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Posts: 5
Has anyone had any luck?

I need to setup a 5.0 data source with connection pooling to Teradata.

I established a Teradata JDBC provider pointing it at the com.ncr.teradata.TeraConnectionPoolDataSource class in the terajdbc4.jar file from NCR.

I then added a 5.0 data source, but I don't have or know of a Data Source Helper class for Teradata.

The options listed are:
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.DB2UniversalDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.DB2DataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.DB2AS400DataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.DB2390DataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.DB2390LocalDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.CloudscapeDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.CloudscapeNetworkServerDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.InformixDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.SybaseDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.OracleDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.ConnectJDBCDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.WSConnectJDBCDataStoreHelper
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.SequeLinkDataStoreHelper
But none of those seem to work for Teradata.

I then set up the properties:
DSName, user, and password each with a type of java.lang.String

Ultimately I am getting an issue in the javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup when its trying to open the JNDI reference.
[ November 05, 2004: Message edited by: Stacey Roach ]
Stacey Roach
Greenhorn

Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Posts: 5
In case anyone needs a tutorial on this, here is what I did.

I downloaded and installed the latest JDBC drivers from Teradata/NCR (version 3.01.00.08).

I edited my local hosts file (c:\\WINNT\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts) and added two aliases to the server.

127.127.127.1 example1
127.127.127.1 example1cop1

I then created a JDBC provider within the Data Source tab of the .wsi screen for WebSphere. I pointed the implementation class at com.ncr.teradata.TeraConnectionPoolDataSource and added both jar files within the class path.

Then I created a JNDI 5.0 data source and used com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.GenericDataStoreHelper as the Data Source Helper Class.

Then I added three properties, each of type java.lang.String: DSName, user, and password. DSName points to the entry in the hosts file. When I didn't do this, I kept getting an error about "default transaction mode" which I found a KB article about. Apparantly the cop1 entry is mandatory or something.

Now I had all of this setup for a few hours and still couldn't get it to work...it would fail on the executeQuery statements with a null pointer exception. This was a problem with a version of the driver (fixed in 3.01.03 (reference: DR84904)) which seemed to be a problem I was causing myself (multiple copies of different jars loaded at once while trying to debug).
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Setting up Teradata DataSource in WSAD 5.1.2