This week's book giveaway is in the OCMJEA forum. We're giving away four copies of OCM Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Exam Guide and have Paul Allen & Joseph Bambara on-line! See this thread for details.
Here's an explanation detailing how I was able to install Axis in a WSAD 5.1.2 Dynamic Web App. Note that the only thing you will get with this is to open the happyaxis.jsp and see all of the components are correctly installed. What you do from there is up to you.
2. Fire up WSAD (I use v5.1.2 if you use a different version you will have to adjust these directions accordingly). Create a new Dynamic Web Project (I call my project Axis_Test).
3. Go to the directory where you downloaded Axis, from there go to \axis-1_3\webapps\axis and grab all the files there (NOT the directory, just the files). Copy those files into your \WebContent directory.
3. Go into the directory where you downloaded Axis, from there go to \axis-1_3\webapps\axis\WEB-INF and copy the file web.xml copy it over your projects existing web.xml file in \WebContent\WEB-INF.
4. Go into the directory where you downloaded Axis, from there go to \webapps\axis\WEB-INF\classes and copy the two properties files, i18n_ja.properties & i18n.properties and copy them into you project at \WebContent\WEB-INF\classes.
5. Go into the directory where you downloaded Axis, from there go to \lib and copy everything. Copy it into your project in \WebContent\WEB-INF\lib.
6. Go into your project properties. Select the "Order and Export" tab. Bring the file saaj.jar to the top.
7. Go into the Project Navigator window and refresh the project. There should be no errors or warnings.
8. It is critically important that you remeber this last bit. You will want to undo it when you are done or other WSAD projects of yours will likely fail. Go into your Websphere Studio install directory and rename the webservices.jar file. My file is C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\Application Developer\v5.1.2\runtimes\base_v51\lib\webservices.jar . I renamed it webservices.jar.old . Remember to change it back when you are done!
9. Go back to your project, open the WebContent folder, right click happyaxis.jsp and "Run on server". Select a default 5.1 server and you should see the HappyAxis.jsp page reporting back that everything is installed and OK.