I have downloaded the Tomcat 5.0.27 on the Windows XP (I have JDK installed OKay and tested). I am able to start the server; however I got HTTP Status 404 error after I typed http://localhost:8080 in the browser's address bar.
4. (problem) Marty Hall says to "turn on servlet reloading" by insert the following line: <DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>
just below the comment "<!-- Define properties for each web application. This is only needed if you want to set non-default properties, or have web application document roots in places other than the virtual host's appBase directory. -->
I DO NOT FIND that comment in the C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\conf\server.xml anymore!
5. (done) set the JAVA_HOME variable
6. (not necessary) change DOS memory settings: If you use an older version of Windows, you may also have to change the DOS memory settings for the startup and shutdown scripts.
I am using the Windows XP; therefore, I do not think that I have to change DOS memeroy settings.
7. I edited C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\bin\catalina.bat and inserted the following after the first set of comments:
if not "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" goto gotJavaHome set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.0_02 :gotJavaHome
8. (done) The "Automatically detect settings" checkbox in IExplorer Connections is unchecked.
9. (problem) Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Lan Settings --> check the box of Bypass proxy server for local addresses
The Bypass proxy server for local addresses is grayed out, I cannot check the box.
Please advise what I have missed in the configurtion process. I appreciate your help.
And, I have one more question. When I used the Tomcat 4.1.18, I copied the servlet.jar file from C:\jakarta-tomcat-LE-4.1.18\common\lib to the C:\j2sdk1.4.2\lib directory. However, I do not find servlet.jar file in the Tomcat 5.0.27. I only find servlet-api.jar in the jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\common\lib directory. Are servlet-api.jar (5.0.27 version) and servlet.jar (4.1.18 version) the same thing?
[ August 30, 2004: Message edited by: JiaPei Jen ]
[ August 30, 2004: Message edited by: JiaPei Jen ] [ August 30, 2004: Message edited by: JiaPei Jen ]
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
I thing you shouldn't change any settings in server.xml and web.xml. Just unpack tomcat and set JAVA_HOME variable to directory where your SDK is installed. Then set CATALINA_HOME variable to directory where you unpacked tomcat. That is it!!! That configuration file seems to be out of date! Of course you should change configuration in server.xml if you know what you want but for simple startup this was enough to work at my machine (winXP, tomcat 5.0.28)
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
just saw second question!!!
It seems that they DID changed name of .jar file. servlet_api.jar was previously known as servlet.jar....