This week's book giveaway is in the OCAJP 8 forum. We're giving away four copies of OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide and have Edward Finegan & Robert Liguori on-line! See this thread for details.
I had a look at that documentation first. Only problem was i was developing a custom implementation of the RealmBase class as our authentication structure is a little different and did not find my answer there.
I'm trying to write my own Realm to authenticate my users. I have written a class extending org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase, compiled to a .jar file and put it in the /lib directory. Then I added this to server.xml:
Tomcat does not have a "/lib" directory, so where did you put the jar file? If you meant the WEB-INF/lib directory of a web app, then be aware that Realm implementations need to go into Tomcat's classpath, not your web app's classpath. Try the "common" or "shared" directories instead.
Joined: Mar 21, 2010
mmm actually tomcat 6 does ships with a lib folder.
I finally figured I had something wrong with the way I created my jar. It works now.
Thanks, and sorry...
Ulf, you're thinking Tomcat 5 and earlier. They got rid of all that common/shared lib stuff in Tomcat6. now it's just TOMCAT_HOME/lib.
For the benefit of anyone wondering, by the way, it's easy to subclass the Tomcat database realm class. I did it because I needed Windows-style authentication (case-insensitive user name, case-sensitive password). My subclass folds the userid to lower case before querying the database.
An IDE is no substitute for an Intelligent Developer.
Thanks guys for this thread! I had to extend the DataSourceRealm just to change one line in the digest() method because my organisation uses a very obscure encoding method. I followed all the instructions on the manual (and in this thread), but was stuck for days due to a ClassNotFoundError. But, alas it's my own stupid mistake. I added this to my context.xml:
I'm a newbie and never had to create a jar before. So, what I did was jar -cvf CustomDataSourceRealm.jar CustomDataSourceRealm.class. This didn't capture the class package information, hence the class not found. So what resolved the issue was simply to jar -cvf CustomDataSourceRealm com, where com is the package folder such that the class is in com/mycompany/CustomDataSource.class. Yes, a very basic mistake, I'm putting it out here so other people won't repeat my mistake.
Next, up I'm trying to configure the container in such a way that it takes in a third parameter for authentication. I know I need to mess with mbeans-descriptor.xml abit, I'm not to sure if I need to extend GenericPrincipal. But that's another question for another thread. Any pointers would help too.