This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
I am trying to install/configure Tomcat on my laptop and am having some issues. At this point I have tried installing 5.0.28 and 5.5 with jdk 1.5.0. I have moved over all my jars into common/lib moved over my server.xml file and my webapps folder. I have set my classpaths(just moved over a batch). The configuration is identical to my desktop.
The install goes smoothly and I can get to my welcome page but when I move over the above mentioned - I can get to the welcome page but it just hangs and never fully completes loading the page.
I looked in stdout.log in Tomcat and receive the below errors. I have tried googling the exceptions and I am not getting anywhere with the posts I have been reading. I have been dinking with this since Friday.
If someone could possibly give me some direction I would appreciate it. I feel like I am missing something but havent a clue as to what.
Originally posted by Crystal Bazil: problem resolved.
What was it?
Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Hi Ben - I cannot explain a solution exactly. After installing Tomcat 5.0.28 and 5.5.12 without much luck - I found a copy of Tomcat 5.5.0 that I had saved on my production server. I installed it(it was the version running in my development enviroment) and everything worked beautifully.
5.5.0 has been the only version I have been successful in running/configuring. I did have an error in my datasource but that error in 5.5.0 was logged in stdout.log and was easily identifiable. This wasnt the case in the other versions. It could have been my problem but I am not confident to say.
If you have any thoughts - I would love to hear them. Thanks.
// This is probably the longest non-answer answer you have ever read, huh?
I have the same problem and solved it. In server.xml, <Resource> has some differece from Tomcat 5.0x and Tomcat 5.5x.
In 5.0x version: <GlobalNamingResources> <!-- Used by Manager webapp --> <Resource name="UserDatabase" auth="Container" type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase" description="User database that can be updated and saved"> </Resource> <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase"> <parameter> <name>factory</name> <value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value> </parameter> <parameter> <name>pathname</name> <value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value> </parameter> </ResourceParams> </GlobalNamingResources>
In 5.5x version: <GlobalNamingResources> <!-- Used by Manager webapp --> <Resource name="UserDatabase" auth="Container" type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase" description="User database that can be updated and saved" factory="org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory" pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" /> </GlobalNamingResources>