Here's the deal. Up until recently I've been deploying all my web apps within the tomcat directory structure. I decided it was time for me to experiment and develop an application outside of the tomcat umbrella. So I created a testapp outside of the tomcat directory. It's location:
I've got tomcat pointed to the app properly... both stadard JSP and HTML pages wotk fine. The problem I'm having is in accessing local servlets to the application. Here's what I've done so far.
1. I've compiled a servlet... lets call it testservlet. 2. I've placed the testservlet servlet into the WEB-INF\classes directory of the new application. So the path to the servlet, including the servlet name is:
3 I've added the servlet to the web.xml descriptor file for the application:
with the following servlet entry (as suggested by O'Reilly's Tomcat book)