This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
I'm a relative newbie, migrating a simple webapp from tomcat 4.1 to 5.5.20. Or, rather, not successfully (yet) migrating it.
Most of my app's jsp pages load just fine, but the ones that don't give me the following error:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Error getting connection: "Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'"
I've researched this error ad nauseum--lots of people have gotten something similar which usually has to do with problems with the context.xml configuration. But: Most people, when they're getting this error, seem to be getting a MySQL exception, not a JasperException...which leads me to think that perhaps I've got some problem with compiling the jsp, even though the problem also seems to be a connection problem. Here's a more verbose stack trace:
Some roads I have gone down already, and some details about my configuration: -- I am trying to migrate from tomcat 4.1 to 5.5 -- I am using Java 1.5 -- I have the driver (mysql-connector-java-3.0.9-stable-bin.jar) in both: apache-tomcat-5.5.20\webapps\purity\WEB-INF\lib and apache-tomcat-5.5.20\common\lib just to cover my newbie bases -- I have the context.xml in apache-tomcat-5.5.20\conf\Catalina\localhost -- I am deploying my webapp manually (not a WAR)
My question is this: Can anybody point me in another direction here? I seem to have the context.xml stuff right...so do y'all have an intuition that my problem is something even more basic? Do you think it's a jsp problem or a connectivity problem (some of my jsp's compile just fine, btw)?
I have been sifting through this very helpful resource for a day and a half now, and have yet to find the solution to this problem--though I've learned a lot about tomcat,and about some similar problems. Any help (even a pointer) would be greatly appreciated.
[ October 24, 2006: Message edited by: Jeff Pollet ] [ October 24, 2006: Message edited by: Jeff Pollet ]
Since it is a runtime exception, Jasper must have created a java source file for the translated servlet.
If this was my problem I would be looking at the created source in the work directory. It looks like something about the created code is really garbaged up around line 115 in the RetrReport_jsp.java code.
Joined: Jul 20, 2005
William--Thanks for your help/insight. I checked out the work directory, as per your suggestion, and it led me to believe that what's really going on is a problem with my database resource configurations, though I'm still not 100% sure about that. But I learned enough to ask some better questions.