This week's book giveaway is in the OCPJP forum. We're giving away four copies of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide and have Kathy Sierra & Bert Bates on-line! See this thread for details.
Hello all is there any way to install one tomcat installation in central place in the server and then to start N instances from different accounts on the server with when each account has its on serer configurations and wep applications ? thanks for the help
In many circumstances, it is desirable to have a single copy of a Tomcat 4 binary distribution shared among multiple users on the same server. To make this possible, you must configure a CATALINA_BASE environment variable (in addition to CATALINA_HOME as described above) that points to a directory that is unique to your instance.
When you do this, Tomcat 4 will calculate all relative references for files in the following directories based on the value for CATALINA_BASE instead of CATALINA_HOME:
* conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)
* logs - Log and output files
* shared - For classes and resources that must be shared across all web applications
* webapps - Automatically loaded web applications
* work - Temporary working directories for web applications
* temp - Directory used by the JVM for temporary files (java.io.tmpdir)
If you do not set CATALINA_BASE to an explicit value, it will be initialized to the same value as is set for CATALINA_HOME (which means that the same directory is used for all relative path resolutions).