This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
It's time to choose a cover for the next Head First book (Head First Objects) which will be coming out this Spring.
After the great response to the Head First Design Patterns covergirl contest, we thought we'd do it again. And we've got some great prizes for the winners!
Here are the rules:
1. Put on your marketing hat, examine the seven cover model wannabees shown below, and decide which one you think would make the best Head First Objects cover model.
2. In a separate topic (HERE), submit an ESSAY or POEM that describes WHY your model of choice should be on the cover. We aren't judging you on your writing skills. Your argument can be funny, ridiculous, serious, emotional, factual, whatever...just try to convince us why THAT person belongs on the cover. You might come up with a story about who that person is. Or you might decide that one person will be more popular or look better on the shelves. Or you might decide that one person will look better on the cover when you're at work, so your boss won't think you're just having FUN. Be creative.
3. The judges are the book's author (me, Dave Wood) and the Head First series creators, Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates. Anyone other than these three people is eligible!
4. You may submit as many separate entries as you wish (hey, why not one for each of the 7 models?!). Each essay/poem will be given consideration for the top 3 prizes. However, each person will only be entered in the random drawing once, regardless of the number of entries.
5. Deadline for entries is January 29, 10 PM Mountain time.
6. There will be five winners, as follows:
Best Essay/Poem - wins a Head First Library including a copy of each HF book currently in print (and HFO). In addition, your name will appear in the book! 2nd Best Essay/Poem - wins a copy of Head First Objects and a Head First t-shirt (shirt details TBD) 3rd Best Essay/Poem - wins a copy of Head First Objects
2 Random Drawing Winners - win a copy of Head First Objects
All five winners will also receive a copy of the Head First "Just Bring Your Brain" blank notebook.
So, without further ado, here are the Head First Objects cover model wannabees!
Do not submit essays/poems in this thread. Submit them HERE. Thanks! [ January 14, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Wood ]
Co-Author of <a href="http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jswing2" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Java Swing</a><br />Co-Creator of <a href="http://www.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CX-310-055.xml" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">SCJP 5.0</a> and <a href="http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/associate_beta.xml" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">SCJA</a> exams