I;m thinking to buy HF Java 2nd edition but I heard it's doesn't cover Java 5 features. Any plan to update soon?
posted 9 years ago
If I remember correctly, the 2nd edition does have Tiger features, but only the ones that are appropriate for beginners. Here's something from one of the authors about HF Java, 2nd edition:
As far as HF Java, the 2nd edition, it IS the Tiger edition. It's about 80 pages longer than the first edition, and we DO talk about some of the new Tiger features, but...
HF Java is not primarily intended for advanced Java programmers, it's intended more for beginners. A lot of the Tiger features are advanced Java features, so we didn't include them. So here are some fun factoids:
- HF Java, Tiger adds a beginner/intermediate discussion of generics.
- HF Java, Tiger expands on its coverage of collections (lots of new stuff here!), and formatting and parsing.
- HF Java, Tiger adds a beginner/intermediate level discussion of boxing and static imports.
- HF Java, Tiger adds a beginner/intermediate level discussion of enums.
- HF Java, Tiger DOES NOT cover any of the new thread stuff like executors...