aspose file tools*
The moose likes Testing and the fly likes IDEs used in the book? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Testing
Bookmark "IDEs used in the book?" Watch "IDEs used in the book?" New topic
Author

IDEs used in the book?

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Hi Andy Hunt and Dave Thomas,
I just would like to know some information about the IDEs used in the book for the explanation unit testing. I, myself, use JBuilder with JUnit, but I'm not sure about the usage in other IDEs...
Is using JUnit with JBuilder discussed in the book? Or any other IDEs as well....
Thank you very much...


Co-author of SCMAD Exam Guide, Author of JMADPlus
SCJP1.2, CCNA, SCWCD1.4, SCBCD1.3, SCMAD1.0, SCJA1.0, SCJP6.0
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Hi Ko Ko,
If I'm allowed to reply to your query.
My impression is that the pragmatic
programmer's book covers the matter of
unit testing in a IDE independent fashion,
with general guidelines that abstracts
from any actual 'tool' besides Junit and Java.
But maybe the authors can back up this info.
Good luck with the competition
Gian Franco Casula


"Eppur si muove!"
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Hi Gian,
I do believe that the book really exphasizes on JUnit Testing... I have downloaded the sample pages from the book and skimmed through them already...
But I didn't see about the IDE associated with the JUnit testing... So I just would like to know about the explanation and some comments from authors about IDEs used with JUnit.... I do recommend you to have a look on the contents and sample pages from the book official website.
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Hi Ko Ko,
Originally posted by Ko Ko Naing:
I do believe that the book really exphasizes on JUnit Testing... I have downloaded the sample pages from the book and skimmed through them already...
But I didn't see about the IDE associated with the JUnit testing... So I just would like to know about the explanation and some comments from authors about IDEs used with JUnit....

I've seen that background material as well over the weekend.
That's the reason I think the book covers the matter of (JUnit) unit
testing in a IDE independent fashion.
But I agree the authors will give a better explanation
May I suggest to you the following review:
Book review
Greetings,
Gian Franco Casula
[ February 17, 2004: Message edited by: Gian Franco Casula ]
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Gian Franco Casula, I do appreciate you for the link to the book review... I've just read that review...
It's really informative for us... And since you are also seeking for more explanation from authors about the IDEs related to unit testing, I hope we are in the same boat... So let's wait till the authors come here... I hope they will be here soon...
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Originally posted by Gian Franco Casula:
btw, amongst others members, I appreciate
your input to various topics, since
it has shown of worthful insights.

:roll: Thanks a lot for your good words on my posts... U know what, even I wanted to win the book by posting the messages, I really want my psots to be knowledgable to me as well as others(including the authors). Some may not know what to ask the authors about? We are supposed to post sthing that are meaningful to the book promotion...
I am posting and will post only meaningful posts to the community, who are participating in the book promotion... That can make ourselves to know about the book being promoted more and in turn, the community can spread the words from authors to their friends else where....
Then let's rock...
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 09, 2000
Posts: 6450
The book does not cover unit testing within any particular IDE.
Andy Hunt
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 01, 2001
Posts: 54
Hi all,
In the book Pragmatic Unit Testing in Java, we discuss how to unit test -- how to think of what to test, how to write tests (e.g., with the same care and precision you write production code), how to arrange for tests with regard to automated builds and the rest of the team, and so on.
We do not recommend any specific IDE or envrionment, because that's a detail that really doesn't matter very much. You hit this button or that to run the test, and you'll either get some text that tells you what failed or you'll get a big red bar or somesuch. But it all works the same.
In fact, even though this book uses Java code and JUnit for the examples, you can use the very same techniques in Perl, or PHP, or Ruby, or Fortran, or Object Cobol. In fact, we are coming out with a C# version of the book shortly.
Dave and I regularly program in multiple languages (even on a daily basis), so we try not to get to hung-up on one particular IDE, or language, or environment. The Good Stuff works no matter what language you're using today. That's the philosophy behind our first book, [I]The Pragmatic Programmer{/I], and it's one that we're sticking with in our new Starter Kit series.


/\ndy Hunt<br /> <a href="http://www.PragmaticProgrammer.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.PragmaticProgrammer.com</a>
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Originally posted by Andy Hunt:

In fact, even though this book uses Java code and JUnit for the examples, you can use the very same techniques in Perl, or PHP, or Ruby, or Fortran, or Object Cobol. In fact, we are coming out with a C# version of the book shortly.
Dave and I regularly program in multiple languages (even on a daily basis), so we try not to get to hung-up on one particular IDE, or language, or environment. The Good Stuff works no matter what language you're using today. That's the philosophy behind our first book, [I]The Pragmatic Programmer{/I], and it's one that we're sticking with in our new Starter Kit series.

Hi Andy Hunt,
Does it mean that all of the Pragmatic Series will be some kind of generic programming book, which are suitable for all kind of programmers, related to the book topic?
That's approach is really good... And what about the C# version of the book? Will all the contents in that book be the same as those in the current Pragmatic Unit Testing book, except that Java codes are replaced with C# codes?
Thank you very much for being here and reply to us....
Dave Thomas
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 01, 2001
Posts: 45
The C# book is about 30% a rewrite: is isn't just a quation of replacing C# code with Java code. The .NET community has quite a different philosophy in certain areas, and the book relfects that. To be honest, we've been surprised at how much changed between versions.

Cheers

Dave


Dave Thomas <br />Author of "<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/020161622X/ref=ase_electricporkchop/002-7467239-7061602" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master</a>
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Originally posted by Dave Thomas:
The C# book is about 30% a rewrite: is isn't just a quation of replacing C# code with Java code. The .NET community has quite a different philosophy in certain areas, and the book relfects that. To be honest, we've been surprised at how much changed between versions.

Yes, I also believe that .Net community has different philosophy to Java community. But I guess that the approach used in Unit Testing won't differ that much, coz programming approach used in C# is pretty similar to that of Java(Not mentioning that C# is derived from Java )...
Thank you for your warm replies to my posts...
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

My organization is using Eclipse. We are planning to use Junit for uint testing. Does Eclipse support Junit or do I need to download a separate plugin.


Groovy
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Hi Pradeep,
Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:
My organization is using Eclipse. We are planning to use Junit for uint testing. Does Eclipse support Junit or do I need to download a separate plugin.

You might want to look at the following topic from the IDE forum:IDE's and other tools

JUnit plugin is part of the default configuration.
Greetings,
Gian Franco Casula
[ February 20, 2004: Message edited by: Gian Franco Casula ]
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Thanks Gian
 
jQuery in Action, 2nd edition
 
subject: IDEs used in the book?