• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

free, earth-friendly heat - a kickstarter for putting coin in your pocket while saving the earth

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

I'm Paul Wheaton and I own CodeRanch.  So I am abusing my power to post this to MD in the hopes that you will check out my kickstarter and maybe give ten seconds of thought to understanding this type of heat - and maybe throw a dollar my way.  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/free-heat?ref=7uqt6e

Ranch Hand
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
this is the product https://youtu.be/DhMeg3VUFWs that the movie is based on? i backed the project, good luck. Will learn more about this. many people in rural India still use wood. i wonder if they will benefit

-Tushar Kapila

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Kapila wrote:this is the product https://youtu.be/DhMeg3VUFWs that the movie is based on? i backed the project, good luck. Will learn more about this. many people in rural India still use wood. i wonder if they will benefit

-Tushar Kapila

Sorta.

The video features a rocket oven.  It uses similar tech to a rocket mass heater.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A client of mine down in New Zealand built a rocket stove in the hopes he'd win a TIG welder. Don't know if he managed that, but the video is fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dvbN2vKrc4

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Which countries are rocket mass heaters conformant to building regulations in?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Which countries are rocket mass heaters conformant to building regulations in?

Quite a few.  And growing.  

Of course, I think people should treat rocket mass heaters just like they did pot.  Be perfectly obedient to the government.  It doesn't matter that it solves climate change, or that it saves you thousands of dollars while keeping your house even warmer.  Do not build one until the government says it is okay - just like how nobody touched pot until the government said it was okay.  

In some places it is classified as a masonry heater.  In others, the building codes recognize rocket mass heaters.  

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS: to get your head wrapped around what it is and how they work.  At least as much brain space as you have for a nuclear reactor.  After all, you have a pretty good idea how those work even though they are not in your building regulations.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In the USA, it's probably OK to run a rocket heater as a portable device outdoors - providing your locale is not under burn restrictions - you don't want to set fire to the world, after all! State or Federal lands may have restrictions as to if/where you can do so, though.

To affix one as a permanent part of a structure however, would likely require zoning approval, which may range from "no problem! would you like to build a toxic waste processing facility next to an elementary school while you're at it (Texas)? To, Absolutely not! only approved fireplaces with Italian Renaissance sculptured marble façades that are either white or rose pink are allowed (Coral Gables, Florida).

Only slightly kidding.

Even if local ordinances forbid, however, you can always try filing for an exception or even rezoning. While some localities can be real control freaks/jerks, many places can be persuaded. Especially if campaign donations are mentioned (totally-not-Florida   ). There may be extra insurance considerations and you might have to demonstrate safety features to a local engineer.

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, my impression is that they are totally legal outdoors anywhere but san francisco.  Kinda falls under some sort of outdoor BBQ cookout stuff.  

Next, there are a lot of places that don't care.  Generally wherever you can still put in a conventional wood stove.

Next, rocket mass heaters are getting more and more stuff in building codes and insurance companies.

Most of all:  please look at the video.  Get some stuff in your head about what are rocket mass heaters.

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
less than 48 hours left!

The longest recorded flight time of a chicken is 13 seconds. But that was done without this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic