• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Internationalization on J2ME

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi
I am making application on J2ME where I need to implement internationalization, as in J2ME no API for internationalization, what is the other way to implement the same. I cant implment the resource bundle concept in J2ME, bcos it does not support, I need to implement in 10 language, now the Unicode library for each language I want to store on server side and as per need user will download it and can have application of his own language. Any constructive IDEA ....
Thanks
Tapan

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I cant implment the resource bundle concept in J2ME, bcos it does not support,
Hi, Tapan,
you can write code to simulate resource bundle.
This pointer Writing World-Aware J2ME Applications [by Eric Giguere]
has a example.
Regards,
Pin
[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Pin Ting ]

Tapan Paul
Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Pin
Thanks for the link.
I gone through the articles written on Internationalization on J2ME, and Finally I concluded with some ideas, still I have some query. I am in India, I want to give application on Hindi, Bengali and other Indian Local Language , now I am using the Unicode standard and I need to hardcode the content, as Indian Local language script is not english, if it is english I could go to ResourceBundle and Locale technique.
For example
TextBox box = new TextBox("Devanagari", "\u0966 \u0967 \u0968 \u0969 \u096a \u096b \u096c \u096d \u096e \u096f", 20, 0);
Result You will see the decimal numerals written in Devanagari:

Now let suppose a name called Hindi I want to display in its own language, here if I use Unicode one by one character, the first I have to have unicode for H then I.. N. D.. I Which is wrong because in hindi I came before H, so I need the logic of placing the alphabet.

Second My Application on J2ME need to display in 12 language, what we thought there will be menu of language preference and when user
select the preferred language it will download the unicode font midlet from server, now one more problem in J2ME 1.0 I cant access from one midlet suite to other midlet suite. So how the font midlet will be in the classpath such that the application midlet in the handset can access the font midlet that he downloaded now.

If you have any idea please share with me.

Thanks and Regards
Tapan

author
Python TypeScript Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Tapan Paul:
Second My Application on J2ME need to display in 12 language, what we thought there will be menu of language preference and when user
select the preferred language it will download the unicode font midlet from server, now one more problem in J2ME 1.0 I cant access from one midlet suite to other midlet suite. So how the font midlet will be in the classpath such that the application midlet in the handset can access the font midlet that he downloaded now.

You can customize you entire MIDlet suite to 12 languages (make 12 of them, each packaged with the correct font library) and set up a WAP OTA page for the user to choose the right download.

Tapan Paul
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
Thanks for response.
Here I am using CDMA network with J2ME applicaion, so no scenario of WAP and all.
Only J2ME Midlet 1.0 at the client end and some other available midlet at the server end, which can download and run in the Java enabled handset.
Any Idea Please.
Thanks and Regards
Tapan Paul.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
You can store unicodes for the different languages in text foem and stream read from the text file. Of course you need to parse by the string 'u' and predefined language demarker letter.
HTH

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,
i am now currently working on internationalization of midlets and i am facing exact problems like Tapan is facing.
The language that i am trying to incorporate into my midlet doesn't have a defined font on sun java wireless toolkit.
So do i have to enter the phrases as images or what?
please i need help

Thanks

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic