• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Please advice -"I am not enjoying my work "

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am working in It industry. After completing my graduation from one of the REC , i joined India's premier IT company. But soon I was fed up with quality of work env, lack of recognition , lack of mutual respect , work like ass etc. Mind you this is company whose shares in stock market are considered best .

I quit that after 1.5 yrs as I wasn't enjoying my work . I joined one of MNC . Here work env is fine and also had one onsite trip but still i am damm frustrated ...party due to lack of challenge in my work and also coz lack of growth in terms of promotion , larger role etc.

Now 3.5 yrs I am damm fed up . I am having offers with 7.5 -8 lpa..but i am not sure what to do? I am not the kind of person who switch just for money but I am damm confused abt what to do?

My epicenter of frustration's is the linear nature of IT industry which measures individuals talent in no of yrs. . In my earlier company and here also i got recognition and so called awards for my technical acumen but it never went beyond that...i am not getting any bigger role though i think(and also my manger think) i am capable ad reason being "I too young" and "against company's written policies". Please advice me. I am damm damm frustrated .

What should I do for my career growth which includes job satisfaction? javascript: x()
Confused

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What kind of bigger role are you looking for? In management or in technical direction ?

If you are looking for bigger role in management, it also requires maturity, which may be reason.

kunal sawarkar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rajesh Thakare:
What kind of bigger role are you looking for? In management or in technical direction ?

If you are looking for bigger role in management, it also requires maturity, which may be reason.

I am looking into the technical direction as solution architect ...Also i don't believe that maturity come with a age ....I know someone will say this itself is an immature restatement. ))))

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Though you may be very talented, getting into an architect role (so soon) in big companies is very difficult. AFAIK None of the big MNCs would be ready to take a chance.

If you are really really keen then try smaller companies where you can get good work and you may be considered for bigger roles if you prove yourself.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try abroad.
There are no growth limits in US specially.

Srikanth Basa
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Preeti Arora:
There are no growth limits in US specially.

What do you mean by this ? Do you mean they would consider him for an Architect position ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kunal,

Thanks for jotting down your feelings!As I read through your post, I realized that you are exactly in the same position as me. I also ended up getting awards for my performance, good appraisal ratings etc etc. But thats it. My managers bluntly tell me - "We know you're better than X, but X is Y years more experienced than you...". So what to we do? - We've got 2 options A) Live with it B) Search for a company which doesn't care about your on paper experience and values only performance and abilities.

For some personal reasons I am sticking to option A as of now, but I'll be going for B as soon as things are resolved. Now whats your plan?

Regards,
Tejas

kunal sawarkar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was in US , but I came back coz i found it same IT structure may be coz all of them today rely on India . If there is anything specific in US where I could go please let me know...I have my Visa stamped ..I will go anytime ...just anytime ...

kunal sawarkar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Tejas Prathamesh:
Hi Kunal,

A) Live with it B) Search for a company which doesn't care about your on paper experience and values only performance and abilities.

Well the precise question is what are those TYPE B companies ? How to search and go there ? And most Imp what it takes to be there?

To emphasize further on you I regularly see people around me who float fake resumes and inflated relevant exp and still goes above ladders ....Are we in wrong industry ? My biggest concern is as with the passage of time we have strong possibilities of becoming like "Mr. X".

I will spell out option [ C ] Think of PG ...option [D] Start an enterprise.
.(?)

There are lot of people here who said they get 18/20 lpa at exp of 6 yrs or 25/27 lpa at 7/8 yrs (all techies as i can recall)...Anyone of those great chaps ..please advice us . ..!!!
[ September 14, 2007: Message edited by: kunal sawarkar ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by kunal sawarkar:

There are lot of people here who said they get 18/20 lpa at exp of 6 yrs or 25/27 lpa at 7/8 yrs (all techies as i can recall)...Anyone of those great chaps ..please advice us . ..!!!

[ September 14, 2007: Message edited by: kunal sawarkar ]

whats your priority?money or job satisfaction?.Though both can be now achived to certain extent at the sametime in India,getting the dream job is not always possible.As somebody said you can try in USA where opportunities are more in terms of variety or join some startups in India.In the formwe you might get both whereas in later you may not get 18/20L per year.

Preeti Arora
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please I am here trying to help by suggesting options.Because everybody goes through same career path.I am not try to offend someone and trying to force my thoughts.
We all have to keep trying until we succeed.
In US I have seen lot of young managers and thats why I said so.They are sharp and intelligent (irrespective of any country).
I cannot mention specific place but keep trying abroad to get job satisfaction.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I have my Visa stamped ..I will go anytime ...just anytime

Which visa you have ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Seems like IT is not the right industry for you . Quit your Job . Do mba from top b-school and get into other industry .

Hi,

I am working in It industry. After completing my graduation from one of the REC , i joined India's premier IT company. But soon I was fed up with quality of work env, lack of recognition , lack of mutual respect , work like ass etc. Mind you this is company whose shares in stock market are considered best .

Confused

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Technical knowledge is not the only thing one needs to be a good architect or project manager. One need to have soft skills likes people management, client�s expectation and your team member needs management. No book or course can teach you this, only experience will. Just for the sake of analogy, in army you won�t promote an officer as general in third year of his service just because he won a gallantry award recently.

kunal sawarkar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rahul Sen:
in army you won�t promote an officer as general in third year of his service just because he won a gallantry award recently.

Hi ..thanks for a interesting note. I would like to quote Jack Welch when asked about his young age when he was made GE's CEO at age of 45. He in-turn quoted Winston Churchill who said after being made defense minister at 35" If experience is criterion for growth then at end of every politicians career he would have become Prime Minister"
Taking analogy here at end of every soldier's career he should be Manek Shaw or at least a general and at end of every professional career every should apply to be a CEO.

Thanks
Kunal

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Join a start-up, if you have the hunger for challenge and need constant thrill and stimulation. Constant pressure can be too much for some people, but some thrive under it.

AK

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with your point that "technical acumen is not directly proportional to the number of years" but you cannot discount the importance of experience and competition for the architect position. You can try joining a smaller company with an architect position. Sometimes you need to hang in there and keep trying..... Good luck.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic