• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

embedded 5.0.30 set env variables

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Using embedded Tomcat v. 5.0.30 in a desktop application that will be rolled out to several users. I had been using Tomcat standalone but found that coordinating the browser startup with the Tomcat init was tricky, so I decided to go this route.

My problem is that I am having trouble setting the environment variables in a way that the Jasper can find it. Previously as a standalone, the program started with a bat file that set all variables and then called to the startup.bat for Tomcat. This worked.

Now I have tried several different ways, and none work. I am staying away from setting the env variables permanently since I don't want to honk up any other programs that might use JAVA_HOME.

This is what I've tried that seemed the most promising... setting the variables in a bat file and then using that bat file to call the java program that creates the embedded engine and starts tomcat.

NOTE: %DIRT_JAVA_HOME% is set when the program is installed and is = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06 I use this since it won't interfere with other programs using JAVA_HOME

Result:

g randecker
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This appears to be a case of asking the wrong question. Although the error says that the JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK, even if you set the JAVA_HOME as a permanent environment variable (as I did out of frustation), it still throws the error.

So the solution I've found is to address this part of the error message:

Here are the steps that ultimately fixed my problem...
1) copy the tools.jar file from the <JAVA_HOME>/lib to <TOMCAT_HOME>/lib (there is no common/lib in 5.0.30, only ./lib)
2) change the calling .bat file

to:

and thereby assure that the tools.jar is now in the JVM's classpath.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic