• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Several small typos in OCP SE11 Study Guide by Jeanne Boyarsky and Scott Selikoff

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
1) Chapter 3. Table 3.8 Logical operators. The last row should read "Exclusive OR" instead of "Exclusive XOR".
2) Chapter 4. Review question #6. The question mentions inserting options into a blank, but I couldn't see any blank. Maybe it's a Kindle issue, though.
3) Chapter 5. The mistake on page 179 has already been added to the errata, but that example also has a small typo (space in the wrong place). "String concat = " hello"; concat += "world";" should be replaced with "String concat = "hello"; concat + = " world";"
4) Chapter 6. Subsection "Supplier" of the section "Introducing Functional Interfaces". The last sentence should end with "returns 42" instead of "returns 2".

Also, I think there is a mistake in answers to review question #16 in Chapter 5. According to answers, option F (Calling equals() on two ArrayList objects returns true) is correct / true. That these two ArrayLists are identical is probably implied, but not mentioned anywhere.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nikolai Vinoku wrote:1) Chapter 3. Table 3.8 Logical operators. The last row should read "Exclusive OR" instead of "Exclusive XOR".

I'm going to add this one to our private list of stuff that isn't quite an errata to consider for a future edition. The intent was to write XOR to call attention to "Exclusive" part. But I can see how it is redundant.

2) Chapter 4. Review question #6. The question mentions inserting options into a blank, but I couldn't see any blank. Maybe it's a Kindle issue, though..
There's a blank in the printed book (after the if statement and before count++. I'm guessing you do see the blank in question 5 since you didn't remark upon that. Can you do me a favor and check if you see the two blanks in chapter 8 question 7? I want to see if the problem is specific to this question or occurs everywhere we have a blank line without any other text on it.

Nikolai Vinoku wrote:3) Chapter 5. The mistake on page 179 has already been added to the errata, but that example also has a small typo (space in the wrong place). "String concat = " hello"; concat += "world";" should be replaced with "String concat = "hello"; concat + = " world";".

Added errata. I went with String concat = "hello "; instead of changing both lines. I confirmed the output is still true/false (aka it matches the other errata)

Nikolai Vinoku wrote:4) Chapter 6. Subsection "Supplier" of the section "Introducing Functional Interfaces". The last sentence should end with "returns 42" instead of "returns 2"..

Confirmed and added to errata. This one was interesting. We had it correct and our editor changed it in PDF review. (We review their changes so still had the opportunity to catch it though. So we still own the error)

Nikolai Vinoku wrote:Also, I think there is a mistake in answers to review question #16 in Chapter 5. According to answers, option F (Calling equals() on two ArrayList objects returns true) is correct / true. That these two ArrayLists are identical is probably implied, but not mentioned anywhere.

Subtle . Good point. I put "two equivalent" on the errata page to address that edge case.

Nikolai Vinoku
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'm guessing you do see the blank in question 5 since you didn't remark upon that. Can you do me a favor and check if you see the two blanks in chapter 8 question 7? I want to see if the problem is specific to this question or occurs everywhere we have a blank line without any other text on it.

Yes, all the other blanks are visible. The two blanks in chapter 8 question 7 are also visible.

I remembered another thing. It is not related to mistakes/typos, but it is something you may want to clarify in one of the future editions. There are two equals() methods that can be used with arrays. One belongs to class Object (compares references) and another to class Arrays (compares objects).  

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nikolai Vinoku wrote:Yes, all the other blanks are visible. The two blanks in chapter 8 question 7 are also visible.

Thank you for checking. I'm relieved this isn't a systemic error. I've now added the instance you reported as a "Kindle only" errata.

Nikolai Vinoku wrote:I remembered another thing. It is not related to mistakes/typos, but it is something you may want to clarify in one of the future editions. There are two equals() methods that can be used with arrays. One belongs to class Object (compares references) and another to class Arrays (compares objects).  

Yes, I use the Arrays methods in real program.. Arrays.equals() Isn't in scope for the exam though. So the book doesn't mention it to avoid confusion. In fact, the only Arrays method I use more is Arrays.toString()!

Nikolai Vinoku
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Arrays.equals() Isn't in scope for the exam though. So the book doesn't mention it to avoid confusion.

Yes, it makes sense then.

I found another small typo.
Chapter 7, section Applying Access Modifiers, subsection Protected Access. The first sentence in the second paragraph from the end. "... not in the goose object" should be replaced with "... not in the Goose class".

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've noted this on our private list of things that could be clearer in a future edition.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic