replacing the colon with the semi-colon seemed to take care of the problem. The forward slashes don't seem to be a problem. I had thought about that, and I should probably play with it, but that will have to be at a later date.
For deployment, I have put my form.html under d:\tomcat\webapps\Beer-v1. It is at the same level as the WEB-INF folder.
Thanks again for your help Darya. I did not use these forums much for the SCJP, but it has already been a life saver for the SCWCD. And I am sure you are right, I will have many "head banging" days ahead.
No. Tomcat appears to start properly. Everything else worked up to this point.
The last thing that worked was testing the page (#4 on page 76). The only things after that were the DD, and compiling the Servlet. The servlet compiles and since we don't even call the html I doubt it has anything to do with it. Would it be a good assumption that I did something wrong with my web.xml file?
I will go back over it and see if I fat fingered something.
Thanks again. It appears I am using the correct syntax for the url. I really can't (shouldn't) go forward until I figure this out. I will go over every detail with a fine tooth comb and see what I can come up with.
Hi Juhan, You are just doing ok. I followed your head hitting problems. I had the same problems too initially. I had to drop the book for some days. The first thing is that OS handle their file system differently, i use winXP. When linux say :, win will say ; Right. So, Check your web.xml and make sure, the <servlet-name>specified when declearing the name</servlet-name> matches the name specified in the servlet name of the servlet mapping (exact name) Also, make sure the form action name is the same with the name specified in the <url-pattern>/select.do</url-pattern>