• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Junilu Lacar
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Tim Cooke
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • salvin francis
  • Frits Walraven
Bartenders:
  • Scott Selikoff
  • Piet Souris
  • Carey Brown

how old is JSF

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am really astonished as I heard last week from JSF, due to the fact that a company wanted to hire me and they wrote JSF in their spec and I thought they were mistaken and meant JSP.
I habe been using Struts so far or writing my pattern myself but no I am adapting to JSF as I has some comforts.
I was also really surprised that there is a new MVC framework and this time directly from SUN and not from Apache.org!

So my question is how old is JSF and has anybody experienced it together with BEA WEBLOGIC!

cheers stevica
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1400
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You can check out the history here.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The key difference between something like Struts or Tapestry and JSF is:
JSF is standard and the other are non-standard(could be well adopted).

That being said, JSF + Tiles from Struts is a good combination.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
The key difference between something like Struts or Tapestry and JSF is:
JSF is standard and the other are non-standard(could be well adopted).

That being said, JSF + Tiles from Struts is a good combination.



Ummm, not really. Struts is the "Inustry Standard" right now. JSF is "endorsed" by Sun since they created it. Sun hopes it will become the standard for web development. Time will tell, but this is totally off topic.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1071
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
The key difference between something like Struts or Tapestry and JSF is:
JSF is standard and the other are non-standard(could be well adopted).

That being said, JSF + Tiles from Struts is a good combination.



One thing on this, even though it may be a little off topic. JSF and Struts are similar in that they both use JSP as a base. Tapestry, and I think Spring, are different in that they do not use JSP, but rather use different techniques to generate dynamic pages. In Tapestry you actually don't write the page that finally gets to the end user, Tapestry generates it from objects and a mock page (to simplify things quite a bit).
 
Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Steven Bell:


One thing on this, even though it may be a little off topic. JSF and Struts are similar in that they both use JSP as a base. Tapestry, and I think Spring, are different in that they do not use JSP, but rather use different techniques to generate dynamic pages. In Tapestry you actually don't write the page that finally gets to the end user, Tapestry generates it from objects and a mock page (to simplify things quite a bit).



Technically, you don't write the page that the end user sees with any J2EE framework. Everything eventually in some form or fasion gets Servlet-tised and sent back in an output stream through the response. That's just how J2EE works. And Spring uses JSP but it also allows you to use pretty much any view you want. Tapestry on the other hand uses plain HTML with OGNL to create the "mock pages". What was the point of this post though?
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:


Ummm, not really. Struts is the "Inustry Standard" right now. JSF is "endorsed" by Sun since they created it. Sun hopes it will become the standard for web development. Time will tell, but this is totally off topic.



I would take your comment about 'Industry Standard' as well adopted from my point of view.

But, half the projects which have good resources that can write better, requirements compliant frameworks don't need to look into the route of Struts.

When I mean 'Standard' it is in the sense of a spec from similar entity that produced the foundation ie Java ie Sun. But JSF is coming out of spec aswell, where as Struts originated out of necessity for a framework that can enable developers to have a web frontend up and running very quickly.
 
Any sufficiently advanced technology will be used as a cat toy. And this tiny ad contains a very small cat:
Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic