Win a copy of Head First Android this week in the Android forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Al Hobbs
  • salvin francis

[To Authors] Why the number of products?

 
author
Posts: 11962
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I also checked out your book at Amazon and was curious about why are you using such a wide variety of products in your examples (WebLogic, Axis, WASP, XSS4J, etc)? Isn't there any single package capable of providing all this and are you using proprietary features of these products?
Personally I dislike books that are supposed to teach a technology but give their examples for some commercial product using their proprietary features. However, the J2EE/Web Services space is pretty standardized so this might not be a big problem with most tech books I buy these days.
 
Author
Posts: 159
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
I also checked out your book at Amazon and was curious about why are you using such a wide variety of products in your examples (WebLogic, Axis, WASP, XSS4J, etc)? Isn't there any single package capable of providing all this and are you using proprietary features of these products?
Personally I dislike books that are supposed to teach a technology but give their examples for some commercial product using their proprietary features. However, the J2EE/Web Services space is pretty standardized so this might not be a big problem with most tech books I buy these days.


The key focus of this book is standards (SOAP, WSDL, UDDI) using Sun JWSDP environment. 80% of the book is spent on standards and standards based APIs and examples.
In addition, we also showed how to use Weblogic, Axis to support veteran developers who use them. I do understand couple of implementation did'nt comply standards. Not everyone like us embracing standards as fast we can !
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 906
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ramesh Nagappan:

In addition, we also showed how to use [...] Axis to support veteran developers who use them. I do understand couple of implementation did'nt comply standards. Not everyone like us embracing standards as fast we can !


What do you mean ?
Axis is Sun's JAX-RPC and SAAJ compliant, no ??
 
Lasse Koskela
author
Posts: 11962
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is the Axis' deployment process proprietary? I'm talking about the .jws file...
 
Ramesh Nagappan
Author
Posts: 159
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
Is the Axis' deployment process proprietary? I'm talking about the .jws file...


Yes. There is a JSR out to support .jws !
 
Lasse Koskela
author
Posts: 11962
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ramesh Nagappan:
Yes. There is a JSR out to support .jws !


Would you happen to know how/when the vendors are moving with respect to .jws?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 56
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
BEA Weblogic Workshop supports jws. See here
[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: Gavin Bong ]
 
Ramesh Nagappan
Author
Posts: 159
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jean-Louis Marechaux:

What do you mean ?
Axis is Sun's JAX-RPC and SAAJ compliant, no ??


I agree, Axis is JAX-RPC and SAAJ compliant....sorry my typo... I was referring to Weblogic and WASP. I heard Weblogic 8.1 and Systinet WASP 4.x also JAX-RPC compliant !!! Still not sure.
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic