• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Tim Cooke
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Frank Carver
  • Henry Wong
  • Ron McLeod
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Al Hobbs
  • Piet Souris
  • Himai Minh

problem inserting arabic data

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dear All,

I am trying to insert arabic data from a JSP page to Oracle table. Oracle is set with NLS_LANG = to arabic character set. When i try to insert the record it is geting saved in the form of unicode in the table. because of which each arabic character is taking nearly 6-7 charcters. I am having space prob. as well.

In JSP also i am using contentType="text/html;charset=windows-1256"
but if the data i key in is small one inarabic i am able to see it properly, here also data is getting stored in the for of unicode.

Even i tried to insert arabic data into the table directly, this data is retrieved in teh for of "???" rather than arabic language.

Can anyone help me how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.
[ March 17, 2005: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 24
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Try using UTF-8 as the charset


Let me know if it solves your problem
 
Ven Ram
Greenhorn
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Abhinay,

Tried with UTF-8, Still not working. It still insert as UNICODE in the DB.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 68
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is not a very quick solution, but hope the following might help

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/pdf/best_practices/globalization_best_practices.PDF

Search for the following text "Database Access using JDBC" and have a look at that section.

Faced a similar problem earlier in chinese with DB2, we use unicode as the database encoding and use UTF-8 as the charset in HTML/JSP pages. We made a setting on the websphere app server too to follow the client encoding or something.(Cant recall what exactly.)
 
Aaaaaand ... we're on the march. Stylin. Get with it tiny ad.
the value of filler advertising in 2021
https://coderanch.com/t/730886/filler-advertising
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic