Win a copy of Testing JavaScript Applications this week in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

Dilemma C++ versus J2EE

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi all,

This posting for my friend who has got job at Persistent Systems , pune ( http://www.persistent.co.in ) . He wants to be in banking domain as business analyst but his experience has been 1 yr in C++ in network security product development. Now at PSPL, he has choice to be either in C or C++ or J2EE or .NET.
He is confused as some say that he should build up his C++ experience to 2 yrs and then get into banking company . others say that he should jump to J2EE and after 1 yr jump into banking domain. still others say .NET is better
So what u all think? What should he take now so that he is a business analyst in next 4-5 yrs in banking,insurance or finance domain. He is MCA and C.A.Inter.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5093
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
yugh, not another architect level job where the person holding it has minimal experience...

I'd say 4-5 years experience should be a minimum before even being allowed near a job of an analyst or architect.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1033
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If he wants to do well in banking he should get an MBA, and learn a bit about all the various technologies, take up golf, and try not to get his hands too dirty (coding that is, in golf its the caddie who get his hands dirty). My personal choice would be to stick with the C++ network security, its a lot more fun than banking.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 300
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i dont understand what J2EE or C++ or .NET has got to do with becoming a business analyst in the banking domain. Does the choice of technology matter for becoming a business analyst.
 
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5093
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
it may well decide at least in part which project teams he gets to boss around.
In my experience Java architects get to impart their (often questionable) wisdom mainly on Java projects and C++ architects on C++ projects.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maximum banking/telecom projects are done in J2EE..World's 70% of the enterprise application is build in J2EE and also any class product's like Oracle/SAP/PeopleSoft are build in J2EE.. so you know what option to take now
 
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5093
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oracle isn't built in J2EE.
They sell an application server for J2EE indeed, which they purchased from Ironflare.
They have an administration console and database client which was written in Java (not J2EE).

But the main database engine is not Java, I suspect it's C and Assembly but I'm not 100% certain.
 
soniya saxena
Ranch Hand
Posts: 300
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
However, we are speaking abt a business analyst and not a technical architect. A business analyst shouldnt be bossing arnd with a technical team and hence it shud not matter to him whatever maybe the implementation.

Originally posted by Jeroen Wenting:
it may well decide at least in part which project teams he gets to boss around.
In my experience Java architects get to impart their (often questionable) wisdom mainly on Java projects and C++ architects on C++ projects.

 
peter wooster
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1033
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Prem Jith:
Maximum banking/telecom projects are done in J2EE..World's 70% of the enterprise application is build in J2EE and also any class product's like Oracle/SAP/PeopleSoft are build in J2EE.. so you know what option to take now



J2EE is used to do the sort of work that used to be done in CICS and COBOL. The real hint is the meaning of the first E "Enterprise". If you are interested in "business data processing" then you should know something about J2EE.

Real telecom code is written in C, not even in C++. That's what C was designed for, its light, tight and more portable than assemby code. Oracle is probably written in C, since they do supply versions that run on most Unix flavours.
 
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5093
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by soniya saxena:
However, we are speaking abt a business analyst and not a technical architect. A business analyst shouldnt be bossing arnd with a technical team and hence it shud not matter to him whatever maybe the implementation.



Indeed a business analyst should not worry about whether the product is implemented in Java, Cobol, C, or whatever.
But in practice they usually do and are assigned to projects based on the technical stuff they (think to, claim to?) know.
And indeed they should not boss technical people around but in my experience they often do just that (effectively pulling rank as they're almost always higher ranking people in the corporate hierarchy than the highest ranking techie.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 116
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jeroen Wenting:
Oracle isn't built in J2EE.
They sell an application server for J2EE indeed, which they purchased from Ironflare.
They have an administration console and database client which was written in Java (not J2EE).

But the main database engine is not Java, I suspect it's C and Assembly but I'm not 100% certain.



I think what Prem is saying is that Oracle is putting more and more of its products on its App Server; which is a J2EE server. Not that Oracle RDBMS is written in J2EE For example, Discoverer and TopLink do not run on a .Net server.
 
I'm sure glad that he's gone. Now I can read this tiny ad in peace!
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic