• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Al Hobbs
  • salvin francis

trouble with string

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1282
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i'm developing a home app (swing standalone app and database) in my laptop (for a long time...)
my environment:
winXP home SP2
eclipse 3.1 with all updates
using visual editor for eclipse
hibernate 2.1.7
MySQL 4.1.10a-nt
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

my app is nearly finished, so i made a jar (troubles with this will follow) and tried it in my pc, wich is winXP pro SP2, and then installed the same MySQL; the jre is the very same

at a certain point my app has a button that populates some fields based in a hql query:

private final String QUERY_CONTRATO_T =

"from ContratoTecnica c "

+ "WHERE nomeActoMedico = ? "

+ "and tipoContrato = ? "

+ "order by nomeActoMedico asc, data desc";

both nomeActoMedico and tipoContrato are strings.
What happens is extraordinary: in my laptop everything goes fine, but in my pc the query doesnt return as expected, when strings include some characters, like:
"Conven��o", "Domic�lio" and so on

I dont have the smallest idea why this is happening

Can someone please give me any hint?

TiA
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 775
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sounds like a character set issue. If this were Oracle I'd say you needed to use NVARCHAR and configure the database to allow 16-bit characters. Not sure how MySql deals with such issues, don't use it that often.
 
author and iconoclast
Posts: 24203
44
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Moving to "JDBC".
 
miguel lisboa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1282
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
in case its a MySQL prob, here's what i get from mysql command line:

mysql> select tipocontrato from contrato;
+--------------+
| tipocontrato |
+--------------+
| Conven��o |
| Conven��o |
| Conven��o |
| Conven��o |
| Conven��o |
| Conven��o |
| Conven��o |
| Particular |
| Particular |
+--------------+
9 rows in set (0.00 sec)


but, if i use mysql query browser, i get:

'Conven��o'
'Conven��o'
'Conven��o'
'Conven��o'
'Conven��o'
'Conven��o'
'Conven��o'
'Particular'
'Particular'



EDIT:
i also found out that MySQL charset is utf8 and collation is utf8_general_ci
[ March 19, 2006: Message edited by: miguel lisboa ]
 
miguel lisboa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1282
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i just replicated as before, but this time using hsqldb, but with the very same (sad) results
dont know what to do
 
miguel lisboa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1282
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
for some reason, inside my MySQL install, in db.opt file, i found this:
default-character-set=latin1
default-collation=latin1_swedish_ci

as i'm in Portugal, i tried:
default-character-set=latin1
#default-collation=latin1_swedish_ci
default-collation=latin1_general_cs

and now all works fine
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic