• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Tim Cooke
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Frank Carver
  • Henry Wong
  • Ron McLeod
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Al Hobbs
  • Piet Souris
  • Himai Minh

Tomcat........

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 28
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I want to install Tomcat for learning servlets and jsp. I just went thru jakarta.apache.org. What should I do--Should I just "install and run the Tomcat 4.0 Servlet/JSP Container" or
"Build from Source the Tomcat 4.0 Servlet/JSP Container".
I could not understand the difference between the two. Could anybody explain to me.
Thanks.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Guys can someone also please help me on the classpath thingy... I got the tomcat running and everythign but cant use the servlet api , it gives me errors saying that javax.servlet not found and stuff , I even created a path pointed it to the proper directory for the servlet.jar file but still no luck...
 
Luca Bracci
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ok I am also having a cache problem ... on this site and everywhere ,, I cant even see my own posts after i post them .. please helpe!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 130
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Do u have the jsdk2.0 or later installed.. first u have to install it and then write down the classpath in autoexec.bat file..
set classpath = %CLASSPATH%;c:\JSDK2.0\lib\jsdk.jar;
assuming that it's installed in c:\
Hope it will work..
Pranit
it gives me errors saying that javax.servlet not found and stuff ,
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Pranit Saha:
Do u have the jsdk2.0 or later installed.. first u have to install it and then write down the classpath in autoexec.bat file..
set classpath = %CLASSPATH%;c:\JSDK2.0\lib\jsdk.jar;
assuming that it's installed in c:\
Hope it will work..
Pranit
it gives me errors saying that javax.servlet not found and stuff ,


 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 412
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Lalit Sha:
I want to install Tomcat for learning servlets and jsp. I just went thru jakarta.apache.org. What should I do--Should I just "install and run the Tomcat 4.0 Servlet/JSP Container" or
"Build from Source the Tomcat 4.0 Servlet/JSP Container".
I could not understand the difference between the two. Could anybody explain to me.
Thanks.


Obviously if you want to learn Servlets & JSP you just install and run the Tomcat 4.0 Servlet/JSP Container. Thats all! Just download the binaries. Set the classpath etc. and get going ! Happy learning !

------------------
Raghav.
 
Luca Bracci
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Pranit Saha:
Do u have the jsdk2.0 or later installed.. first u have to install it and then write down the classpath in autoexec.bat file..
set classpath = %CLASSPATH%;c:\JSDK2.0\lib\jsdk.jar;
assuming that it's installed in c:\
Hope it will work..
Pranit
it gives me errors saying that javax.servlet not found and stuff ,



wait you are saying servlet.jar ain't it???
I have to get jsdk?
oh man this is so confusing ..
 
Pranit Saha
Ranch Hand
Posts: 130
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Raghav,
i've downloaded Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 and it's in c:\Program files\Jakarta Tomcat4.0.. my classpath is as follows..
set classpath = c:\JSDK2.0\lib;
set classpath = %CLASSPATH%;c:\JSDK2.0\lib\jsdk.jar;
set path = c:\jdk1.2.1\bin;c:\jdk1.2.1\lib;
set JAVA_HOME = c:\jdk1.2.1\bin;c:\jdk1.2.1\bin\java.exe;
set TOMCAT_HOME = c:\Program Files\Jakarta Tomcat 4.0;
But the thing is whenever i click on startup.bat, an error comes like..
cannot find the file 'c:\jdk1.2.1\bin;c:\jdk1.2.1\bin\java.exe;bin\java'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available..
So how can i make my Tomcat Running.. pls help..

Originally posted by Raghav Sam:
Obviously if you want to learn Servlets & JSP you just install and run the Tomcat 4.0 Servlet/JSP Container. Thats all! Just download the binaries. Set the classpath etc. and get going ! Happy learning !


 
Raghav Sam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 412
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pranit,
To keep things simple, put ur tomcat installation in c:\ directly (for eg:- c:\Tomcat4) instead of c:\Program files...

Set paths as follows:
set path=%path%;c:\jdk1.2.1\bin
set classpath=%classpath%;c:\jdk1.2.1\lib
set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.2.1
set TOMCAT_HOME=c:\Tomcat4
Now try running startup.bat. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Pranit Saha:
Hi Raghav,
i've downloaded Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 and it's in c:\Program files\Jakarta Tomcat4.0.. my classpath is as follows..
set classpath = c:\JSDK2.0\lib;
set classpath = %CLASSPATH%;c:\JSDK2.0\lib\jsdk.jar;
set path = c:\jdk1.2.1\bin;c:\jdk1.2.1\lib;
set JAVA_HOME = c:\jdk1.2.1\bin;c:\jdk1.2.1\bin\java.exe;
set TOMCAT_HOME = c:\Program Files\Jakarta Tomcat 4.0;
But the thing is whenever i click on startup.bat, an error comes like..
cannot find the file 'c:\jdk1.2.1\bin;c:\jdk1.2.1\bin\java.exe;bin\java'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available..
So how can i make my Tomcat Running.. pls help..



------------------
Raghav.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
set the path like " set java_home = c:\jdk1.3.0_02
c:\jakarta-tomcat4.0\bin\starup" that's all it will work try with this
 
Alas, poor Yorick, he knew this tiny ad:
Garden Master Course kickstarter
https://coderanch.com/t/754577/Garden-Master-kickstarter
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic