• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Piet Souris
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Jesse Duncan
  • Frits Walraven
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need CHM for entire JDK

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 36
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All

Had somone prepared a .CHM for entire Javadoc ??

or can anyone help me for getting it done from JDK

Thanks in advance
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1228
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Somnath Jamdar:
Hi All

Had somone prepared a .CHM for entire Javadoc ??

or can anyone help me for getting it done from JDK

Thanks in advance



Java doc is there then why you need Chm.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 80
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Somnath Jamdar,

What is this .CHM mean and how is it different from java doc.

Pls explain this.


With Regards,
Prakash....
 
author and iconoclast
Posts: 24204
44
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think it's the Windows help file format he's talking about. There was, long ago, a project called "Dippy Bird" that distributed such a thing; it's long since defunct. You can probably find the files from that project out on the Internet somewhere, but they'll be sorely out of date.

Why on Earth is this in the "Advanced" forum? I'm moving it to "Java in General (Beginner)."
 
Rancher
Posts: 43028
76
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There's something even better: A tool to generate CHM files from any javadocs you want to throw at it.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 263
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by srini vasan:


Java doc is there then why you need Chm.



Because you can't search the API documentation in Javadoc format?
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Somnath Jamdar:
Hi All

Had somone prepared a .CHM for entire Javadoc ??

or can anyone help me for getting it done from JDK

Thanks in advance



Hi, guy. YOU can get them form http://www.allimant.org/javadoc/javadoce.html
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1078
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Tom Blough:


Because you can't search the API documentation in Javadoc format?



You can't?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ken Blair:


You can't?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api



A local solution might be more effective than an Internet-based one such as this.
 
Ken Blair
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1078
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I didn't say there was no reason to convert to CHM, I just pointed out you can search the Javadoc using Google. A lot of people forget (or don't know to begin with) that you can specify a site.
 
Tom Blough
Ranch Hand
Posts: 263
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ken Blair:
I didn't say there was no reason to convert to CHM, I just pointed out you can search the Javadoc using Google. A lot of people forget (or don't know to begin with) that you can specify a site.



Really??? I just tried it on the airplane yesterday and I got a DNS error when trying to connect to Google. Perhaps your solution only works when you have an internet connection and the lister was looking for something that worked ALL the time?

Google is great when you are connected. For a complete list of Google advanced operators - http://www.google.com/help/operators.html.

Cheers,
 
Ken Blair
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1078
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Tom Blough:


Really??? I just tried it on the airplane yesterday and I got a DNS error when trying to connect to Google. Perhaps your solution only works when you have an internet connection and the lister was looking for something that worked ALL the time?

Google is great when you are connected. For a complete list of Google advanced operators - http://www.google.com/help/operators.html.

Cheers,



There's really no need to be hostile, I was pointing out alternatives. If they have a local copy they can search for files containing the text they're after too.
 
pie. tiny ad:
Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic