Win a copy of Testing JavaScript Applications this week in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

Tomcat Question

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 833
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have three websites but I can work with one website at a time to put it in ROOT.

Can I view three different websites with tomcat without copy pasting them in ROOT?

Thanks & best regards
 
Rancher
Posts: 43016
76
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I wouldn't put anything into ROOT. Why don't you keep the three sites in 3 (non-ROOT) subdirectories of the webapps directory; all 3 can run in parallel that way. The URL would be http://localhost:8080/myApp1/ instead of http://localhost:8080/ in that case, but all links should work the same, assuming you're using relative links.
 
Bartender
Posts: 1952
7
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You can run multiple web applications simultatiously by adding them to their own context like so:

%CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/webapp1
%CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/webapp2
%CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/webapp3
etc.

Where webappN would contain the typical web application directory structure. Or by just adding web application archives (.WAR) to %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/ and having Tomcat explode them for you during deployment. Why would you want to add your web application files to the ROOT context?

Edit: Aw, too slow. Ulf beat me to it
[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Jelle Klap ]
 
Farakh khan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 833
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ulf Dittmer:
I wouldn't put anything into ROOT. Why don't you keep the three sites in 3 (non-ROOT) subdirectories of the webapps directory; all 3 can run in parallel that way. The URL would be http://localhost:8080/myApp1/ instead of http://localhost:8080/ in that case, but all links should work the same, assuming you're using relative links.



No, not working. I have aa folder and inside aa is company==>>profile.html
http://localhost:8080/aa is working but when am clicking the link the following message appears. Can I have to make changes in tomcat ?

HTTP Status 404 - /company/profile.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message /company/profile.html

description The requested resource (/company/profile.html) is not available.
 
Farakh khan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 833
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
%CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/webapp1
%CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/webapp2
%CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/webapp3

Thanks for your help.

I am very new to tomcat and Java. where can I see .war file or where I make recommended changes

Thanks again
[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Farakhkhan ]
 
Sheriff
Posts: 13411
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In order for Tomcat to see a folder (under webapps) as an application, that folder must have a WEB-INF folder inside it.

tomcat/webapps/aa/WEB-INF
 
Farakh khan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 833
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ben Souther:
In order for Tomcat to see a folder (under webapps) as an application, that folder must have a WEB-INF folder inside it.

tomcat/webapps/aa/WEB-INF



Yes that has WEB-INF folder and web.xml but still am facing the problems. What else could be changed

Thanks & best regards
 
Ben Souther
Sheriff
Posts: 13411
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
"Raakh",
Please check your private messages regarding an important administrative matter.
-Ben
 
Ben Souther
Sheriff
Posts: 13411
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
"Farakhkhan",
Please check your private messages regarding an important administrative matter.
-Ben
 
Farakh khan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 833
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ben Souther:
"Farakhkhan",
Please check your private messages regarding an important administrative matter.
-Ben



I checked and send you 2 simultaneous messages

Can anybody please help/guide me regarding my tomcat question?

thanks & best regards
 
Ben Souther
Sheriff
Posts: 13411
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Farakhkhan:


I checked and send you 2 simultaneous messages

Can anybody please help/guide me regarding my tomcat question?

thanks & best regards



Please check them again.
-Ben
 
Farakh khan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 833
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ben Souther:


Please check them again.
-Ben



Is it ok Now?
 
Jelle Klap
Bartender
Posts: 1952
7
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ok, a very simple example:

1. Create a folder called helloworld in %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps, where %CATALINA_HOME% is the Tomcat installation folder.

2. Create a new plain text file with the following contents:


3. Save this file as index.html in %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/helloworld

4. Start Tomcat (if not running).

5. Start a webbrowser and navigate to http://localhost:8080/helloworld (assuming localhost is the listen adress and 8080 is the listen port).

You should see the hello world message.
[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Jelle Klap ]
 
Farakh khan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 833
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Its mean that when I'll use the path of other file then I have to follow the path of this folder e.g. aa==>>index.html, company folder===>>profile.html like this /aa/company/profile.html whereas I was using in ROOT just: /company/profile.html

right?

Thanks & best regards
 
Ben Souther
Sheriff
Posts: 13411
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jelle Klap:
3. Save this file as index.html in %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/helloworld.



Again, Tomcat (in versions up to 5.5 anyway) won't recognize a folder as a web application unless it contains a WEB-INF folder.
 
Jelle Klap
Bartender
Posts: 1952
7
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Ben Souther:


Again, Tomcat (in versions up to 5.5 anyway) won't recognize a folder as a web application unless it contains a WEB-INF folder.



It's fairly reasonable to assume that somebody just starting to learn about Tomcat downloaded a recent version to do so, and I didn't want to complicate things unnecessarily.
[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Jelle Klap ]
 
author
Posts: 14112
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by farakh khan:


No, not working. I have aa folder and inside aa is company==>>profile.html
http://localhost:8080/aa is working but when am clicking the link the following message appears. Can I have to make changes in tomcat ?

HTTP Status 404 - /company/profile.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message /company/profile.html

description The requested resource (/company/profile.html) is not available.



You should probably use a relative URL in that link (one that doesn't start with a slash).
 
Well behaved women rarely make history - Eleanor Roosevelt. tiny ad:
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic