This week's book giveaway is in the Cloud forum.
We're giving away four copies of Terraform in Action and have Scott Winkler on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of Terraform in Action this week in the Cloud forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Al Hobbs
  • salvin francis

Valentines Day Problem, please help :eek:

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 872
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
At day release English class, I found someone that I really like and very compatible, with, very much so compared with 99 percent of woman. We had a date on Saturday, which I enjoyed bla bla bla. The problem is that Valentines Day is coming up and it seems to be a bit rushed a little. I mean, I don’t even know her address so I cannot even post her a Valentines card. Should I meet up with her at a coffee or Wetherspoons pub? If I do decide to give her a valentine’s card, I would not know what to put onto it.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3851
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
May be, you can wait for Raksha Bhandan...

Okay, sorry...
Ofcouse you should tell her... by this way, you can go ahead even if she is not ready*


* Condition apply
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Gerald Davis:
At day release English class, I found someone that I really like and very compatible, with, very much so compared with 99 percent of woman. We had a date on Saturday, which I enjoyed bla bla bla. The problem is that Valentines Day is coming up and it seems to be a bit rushed a little. I mean, I don’t even know her address so I cannot even post her a Valentines card. Should I meet up with her at a coffee or Wetherspoons pub? If I do decide to give her a valentine’s card, I would not know what to put onto it.



Valentines day is a tough one, but you need to play it cool. She may not be into you as much as your are into her. The right approach, IMHO, would be to ask her out for 2nd date of coffee or dinner (not a romantic dinner, but a nice "date" dinner) where you two can talk and get to know each other some more. Then for valentines day, give her something simple, like a single rose. That way your not over overwhelming her and pushing the issure of "I think I love you...", you are instead sending a nice message of "Hey, I'm into you and would like to get to know you". I wouldn't even consider a card (really not romantic anyway) because it may convey the worng message or worse yet what you write in the card may convey the wrong message and blow this whole thing up before it has a chance.

Hope this helps
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1780
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One red rose is a good idea. Buying her "Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB" would show that you are worried about commitment and want to keep things light
 
Steve Gibson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jeff Albertson:
One red rose is a good idea. Buying her "Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB" would show that you are worried about commitment and want to keep things light



LOL!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 389
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wetherspoon on Valentine's Day ??? You sure know how to impress a woman - NOT !!!

I would say , theres no harm in asking her out ,but I would go somewhere classy - A Nice cocktail bar in Soho or wherever takes your fancy but please , NO WETHERSPOON!!!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 469
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Tintin Herge:
Wetherspoon on Valentine's Day ??? You sure know how to impress a woman - NOT !!!





Well... we don't know the girl...
But I think you are right..

Take her to some new place - new for her, some national restaurant with lot of dancing maybe(Bulgarian or Spanish... or whatever you like).
 
Gerald Davis
Ranch Hand
Posts: 872
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have decided, after asking around that I should give Valentines Day a miss because it is too much too soon after going a first date last saturday. However, I wonder if I should Text her or call her on that day.
 
Sania Marsh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 469
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Gerald Davis:
I have decided, after asking around that I should give Valentines Day a miss because it is too much too soon after going a first date last saturday. However, I wonder if I should Text her or call her on that day.



I personally find texting more romantic... but it maybe just me..
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3143
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Agreed, a nice text to let her know you're thinking about her would be appropriate.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with Wetherspoons, I'd rather kick back there than some up it's own back side restaurant where I'd be afraid to breath for fear of breaking some ettiquette or something.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And what to do when you're all alone, and feeling lonely as hell.....
And I am not even interested in casual flings!

- Manish
 
Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3143
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Manish Hatwalne:
And what to do when you're all alone, and feeling lonely as hell.....
And I am not even interested in casual flings!

- Manish




Ah in these circumstances, you think about all of the men and women who's partners have "forgotton" what day it is and the intense dissappointment and lack of appreciation that they feel.
 
Jeff Albertson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1780
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Sania Marsh:

I personally find texting more romantic... but it maybe just me..



There's the generation gap right there.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 904
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jeff Albertson:


There's the generation gap right there.



Hehe.. well, I've got to admit that I cant see the "romantic" aspect of
SMS either. A normal letter could be romantic, but: "Hey hun, how r u, luv n hugz"
That being said, SMS is a nice way of telling something that your think
about them.

/Svend Rost
[ February 14, 2006: Message edited by: Svend Rost ]
 
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Angela Poynton:



Ah in these circumstances, you think about all of the men and women who's partners have "forgotton" what day it is and the intense dissappointment and lack of appreciation that they feel.



Or maybe I should just pray hoping that the heaven would send her to me someday!

- Manish
 
Sania Marsh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 469
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Svend Rost:


Hehe.. well, I've got to admit that I cant see the "romantic" aspect of
SMS either. A normal letter could be romantic, but: "Hey hun, how r u, luv n hugz"
That being said, SMS is a nice way of telling something that your think
about them.

/Svend Rost

[ February 14, 2006: Message edited by: Svend Rost ]




Hmm..

Well, I'm a woman, Angela, who agreed with me is a woman.. Now, how about you and Jeff? (just kidding) And why do you have to write in the manner you mentioned? You can as well talk on the phone in the same manner.

Think about this.. You met a girl, you like her, you don't know yet where your relationship will go, so you are both shy to make first move.. and you recieve a message "Hi, cannot stop thinking about you, can I see you tonight?".. It leaves impression that she is shy to say it, so she texted it, which is kind of cute, plus you can re-read that message and smile again..
Also, you can draw a rose -'-@ at the end of your message to make it more romantic
 
Jeff Albertson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1780
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
... You left out the part where I don't have a cell phone because I detest that technology. I used to have to carry one around because of a previous job, but there's nothing I love so much as not having to own one anymore I'd rather take out my Mont Blanc fountain pen and write something down without any text message abbreviations.
 
Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3143
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I never abbreviate my text messages. It was necessary in the early days of the technology because you were limited to the number of characters you can send. These days that limit is high enough for me to send plain english. I can probably type a SMS message as quickly as I can type on a computer.

I live 200 miles away from my boyfriend. There's nothing I love more than recieving a text message out of the blue from him just saying that he misses me or he loves me or simply that he's thinking about me.

Today he simply sent me "xxxx" and those four little characters had so much meaning I actually cried. You men have no idea how tiny little things like that really do mean an AWFUL lot.
 
Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3143
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So Gerald how did it work out?
 
You showed up just in time for the waffles! And this tiny ad:
Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic