Peer's idea was fruitful. With the guidance of another JavaRanch bartender's tutorial, Jaikiran Pai, at http://jaitechwriteups.blogspot.com/2006/12/simple-webservice-on-jboss-using-axis.html which admittedly was written for JBoss 4.0.4, but in comments seemed to indicate Axis 1.4 would work on JBoss 4.2.x, I was able to get a client web service running that uses soap encoding including for soap encoded arrays (particularly unsupported it seems, since some previous versions of JBossWS did support some elements of soap encoding, but not arrays).
For those following in my footsteps, to get a client to work, I simply put the following JARs from Axis 1.4 in my EAR's lib directory:
axis.jar, axit-ant.jar, commons-discovery-0.2.jar, jaxrpc.jar, saaj.jar, wsdl4j-1.5.1.jar
No modifications were necessary to the JARs included in JBoss libs nor to the configuration of any classloader.
Do take note that if one tries to use Axis 1.4 to implement the server for a web service, some extra configuration seem to be necessary. In my case, I only needed a client so the above JARs in the EAR's lib were enough. But since I was following Jaikiran's tutorial quite closely for the initial part, and it does take you down the path of enabling a server, I did encounter and come up with a solution for enabling a server. I found that the compiler was not able to find J2EE classes in the compiler's classpath, which I fixed by copying jboss-j2ee.jar and servlet-api.jar from the JBoss default server's lib directory to my EAR's lib. As to whether this is the "right" thing to do to enable a server, I'm not sure, but I didn't try too hard since it wasn't part of my goal.
Thank you Peer for the suggestion!
Water proof donuts! Eat them while reading this tiny ad: