This week's book giveaway is in the Agile and Other Processes forum. We're giving away four copies of Darcy DeClute's Scrum Master Certification Guide: The Definitive Resource for Passing the CSM and PSM Exams and have Darcy DeClute on-line! See this thread for details.
Welcome back for another book promotion on Liferay , I just wanted to know that how you able to maintain frequent changes happening in Liferay.
If I am not wrong one more book has been published on Liferay development , why a person should go for this book rather than other one??
Is there any pre requirement to follow your book??
Thanks. It is my pleasure to share experience customizing Liferay using Java in a clear and precise manner how to build custom systems on top of Liferay portal. This book solved lots of un-aswered questions in just twenty minutes, and showing how to solve them.
Who this book is written for
This book will be most useful to professional Java developers who want to build custom web sites, portals, and highly customized intranet applications using Liferay portal as a framework.
This book is for Java developers, and you will get most from the book if you already work with Java but you need not have prior experience on Liferay portal. Although Liferay portal makes heavy use of open source frameworks such as Spring, Hibernate, Struts, and Lucene, no prior experience using these is assumed.
Why do we need Liferay portal systems development book
Liferay portal is one of the most mature portal frameworks in the market, offering many key business benefits that involve personalization, customization, and workflow. If you are a Java developer who wants to build custom web sites and intranet applications using Liferay portal, this is where your search ends.
This book shows how Java developers can use Liferay as a framework to develop custom intranet systems, based on Liferay portal platform thus helping you to maximize your productivity gains. Get ready for a rich, friendly, intuitive and collaborative end-user experience!
The author's experience customizing Liferay using Java enables him to explain in a clear and precise manner how to build custom systems on top of Liferay portal.
Using this book you can customize Liferay into a single point of access to all an organization's data, content, web content, and other information from both existing in-house applications (HR, CRM) and external sources (such as Alfresco, FatWire, Magnolia, Vignette).
Congrates for completing book on liferay portals. Few months back i started working on liferay portal to create my own site. followed several tutorials and found administration book by Richard L. Sezov, Jr. which didnt help me much. By the time i got that book i know all the admin related stuff..
The main area where i am stuck is when i try to modify existing module. for example log in module. we have to do database update and settings related to struts(my bad i dont know struts too )..
Another area i was unable to complete is authorization to modules.
Now coming to your book.. what exactly you covered in the book. is that theory or practical example of how to modify existing module or creating new modules?
If i follow your book. how easy for me to start portals again and complete one simple website?
A Java developer's guide to developing custom intranet systems, based on Liferay's platform.
Build Java-based custom intranet systems on top of Liferay portal
* Learn to use Liferay tools to create your own applications as a Java developer, with hands-on examples
* Customize Liferay portal using the JSR-286 portlet, extension environment, and Struts framework
* Build your own Social Office with portlets, hooks, and themes and manage your own community
* The only Liferay book aimed at Java developers
What you will learn from this book
This book will give you plenty of hands-on examples to customize and extend Liferay portal. You will learn how to:
* Work with the JSR-286 portlets and Extension environment, helping you to build larger applications and reuse portlets in different scenarios
* Build basic and advanced Struts portlets with permissions and a set of actions helping you to build enterprise-ready Java web applications
* Manage communities and pages with locale and tracking features to employ layout templates dynamically
* Customize WYSIWYG editor FCKEditor – Making images, links, videos, games, video queues, video lists, and play lists as part of web content
* Empower CMS and WCM providing you with one central place to aggregate and manage all content
* Build My Community – Share web sites, pages, and portlets with friends allowing you to introduce control panel and inter-portlet communication
* Develop layout templates and themes in the Plugins SDK environment so that you can customize the overall look and feel of web sites and pages
* Build your Social Office with portlets, hooks, and themes enabling you to be a part of the team without sacrificing your preferences
* Stage, schedule, and publish web content with workflow capability allowing you to alter and manage what you have created
* Build custom attributes, OpenSearch, Spring services, and web services thus helping you to build dynamic web sites smoothly
This book focuses on teaching by example. Every chapter provides an overview, and then dives right into hands-on examples so you can see and play with the solution in your own environment. All code samples run on both the latest Enterprise and Community releases.