Win a copy of Testing JavaScript Applications this week in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

Coders at work

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1907
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Peter,
It will be great to read Coders at work.
Do the people in the book have expressed their opinions on current trends in software development? changing language APIs(java),frameworks,architecture?How developer can upgrade himself in ever changing software environment?

regards
AS
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 423
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Arjun Shastry wrote:Hi Peter,
It will be great to read Coders at work.
Do the people in the book have expressed their opinions on current trends in software development? changing language APIs(java),frameworks,architecture?How developer can upgrade himself in ever changing software environment?

regards
AS


One of the subjects in the book is "...and what they think about the future of programming." http://www.codersatwork.com/
 
author
Posts: 48
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yup. Almost all of my interviewees touched on that in one way or another. Many of them expressed some skepticism about the way things seem to be going; some were more optimistic.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 41
Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Peter!

I'm very interested in your book. My question is if any of the subjects you interviewed discussed their views on how best to advance a programming career, in particular the usefulness of certifications. I know certifications have been discussed in Java Ranch ad nauseum. I find myself excited to take certifications, because I will learn more about Java that I'm not experiencing in my projects. I am also pursuing a Masters Degree in IT, but I'm finding I'm not programming in any of the courses; I'm getting the theory and best practices knowledge there.

But what do the leaders say? Are certifications, higher education, and constant training workshops the key to success? I realize I'm in a field where learning is never ending, and I embrace it joyfully. I just want to make sure I'm choosing the best training paths to get me where I need to go.

Thanks!

Amanda
 
Peter Seibel
author
Posts: 48
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Amanda Albert wrote:Hello Peter!

I'm very interested in your book. My question is if any of the subjects you interviewed discussed their views on how best to advance a programming career, in particular the usefulness of certifications. I know certifications have been discussed in Java Ranch ad nauseum. I find myself excited to take certifications, because I will learn more about Java that I'm not experiencing in my projects. I am also pursuing a Masters Degree in IT, but I'm finding I'm not programming in any of the courses; I'm getting the theory and best practices knowledge there.

But what do the leaders say? Are certifications, higher education, and constant training workshops the key to success? I realize I'm in a field where learning is never ending, and I embrace it joyfully. I just want to make sure I'm choosing the best training paths to get me where I need to go.

Thanks!

Amanda



I was struck by how much the folks I talked to were autodidacts when it came to programming, even the ones who had PhDs in Computer Science. I talked to people about whether it was useful to get a PhD and mostly they seemed to say, if that's what you're interested in go for it and it may be necessary if you want to go into research, as opposed to industrial programming. I didn't ask them about other kinds of training or certification.
 
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1907
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Peter.
Many times we try find analogy between software/programming and other streams like architecture/poetry/music. Do these legendary people compare software creation with other streams? I have read Donald Knuth's interview where he finds similarity between programming and making of poems.
AS
 
Peter Seibel
author
Posts: 48
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Arjun Shastry wrote:Thanks Peter.
Many times we try find analogy between software/programming and other streams like architecture/poetry/music. Do these legendary people compare software creation with other streams? I have read Donald Knuth's interview where he finds similarity between programming and making of poems.
AS



Yeah, that was something I asked almost everyone about: what other intellectual activities is programming like. That was probably one of the areas that got the most disparate answers.
 
Without subsidies, chem-ag food costs four times more than organic. Or this tiny ad:
Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic