• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

How to say no?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In fact this is a question on how to be assertive , while not sounding offensive. How would you say no, at work, when you are disappointed with the work you have got at hand?
 
Bartender
Posts: 11445
19
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
 
Srikkanth Mohanasundaram
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
and it works ?
 
Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
Posts: 11445
19
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1936
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Give reason, and firmly say what I expect.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 237
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikkanth Mohanasundaram wrote:In fact this is a question on how to be assertive , while not sounding offensive. How would you say no, at work, when you are disappointed with the work you have got at hand?



Well, there are menial tasks at every work-place that has to be done by someone. As long as it's reasonably within what you were hired to do why shouldn't it be you?

I think you should change attitude. Do every task as quickly and as well as possible and look like you're enjoying it. Also the mundane can be performed with enthusiasm and excellence. If you, after a year or so, don't get proper recognition tell your boss you feel understimulated with the tasks you're assigned and that you would wellcome something more challenging. If things don't change after that just quit.

So make a hell of an effort and if nobody notices just walk.
 
Srikkanth Mohanasundaram
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

uj nossnahoj wrote:I think you should change attitude.



Why is it getting personal? It has got nothing to do with attitude . In fact, i wanted to hear from people on how they say a no.
 
Embla Tingeling
Ranch Hand
Posts: 237
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikkanth Mohanasundaram wrote:

uj nossnahoj wrote:I think you should change attitude.



Why is it getting personal? It has got nothing to do with attitude . In fact, i wanted to hear from people on how they say a no.



Because saying no is personal and it has everything to do with attitude.

It's not how you say no that matters. It's about how your no is perceived and that's determined by the personal credibility you've built for yourself which is largely determined by your attitude. If you're considered a useless loser and a whiner, a no may very well kick you out of your job. It doesn't matter how you present it. Your boss will consider it a good opportunity to get rid of you.

Instead of lurking around trying to figure out how to say no, say yes with a vengeance for some substantial time. Then say no the way it comes. If you have enough in your credibility account, your boss will kiss your feet and say - please please forgive me, you can have my job, you deserve it.
 
Srikkanth Mohanasundaram
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

uj nossnahoj wrote:
say yes with a vengeance for some substantial time.


I'm talking about being assertive.
 
Embla Tingeling
Ranch Hand
Posts: 237
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikkanth Mohanasundaram wrote:
I'm talking about being assertive.



And I'm telling you that being assertive isn't about how you present a no. It's about how big a credibility aura you project when you say it, and that's something you must earn.
 
Bartender
Posts: 9615
16
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
 
Marshal
Posts: 67418
173
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh, I am so stealing that!
 
Srikkanth Mohanasundaram
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bear Bibeault wrote:Oh, I am so stealing that!


I don't know if my question makes you think like that. It was a sincere question
 
Bear Bibeault
Marshal
Posts: 67418
173
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikkanth Mohanasundaram wrote:

Bear Bibeault wrote:Oh, I am so stealing that!


I don't know if my question makes you think like that. It was a sincere question


Ummm, that has to do with the bear picture... not your question.
 
Srikkanth Mohanasundaram
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
bear picture?
 
author
Posts: 23879
142
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My answer would be... it depends.

At the end of the day, remember that you are a professional. Saying something is not a good idea is perfectly fine. Being assertive is perfectly fine. Disagreeing is perfectly fine -- although this all assumes that you can back it up.

However, there is a time for discussion and a time for action. If it is still in design, then fine. If it is up for discussion, then fine. But if the decision has already been made, and there is nothing you can do about... Its time to just do the work.

Henry
 
Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1936
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikkanth Mohanasundaram wrote:bear picture?


Don't see the bear picture? Try to refresh.

I think you don't need to be assertive, you can smile and say no . Just try, it's not difficult as you might have imagined.
Maybe you worry too much about what other people will think about you, actually most of the time most people don't even think of you, they don't care much what you do or what you say. If you realize that you should have more confident to say no.
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40035
809
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikkanth Mohanasundaram wrote:In fact this is a question on how to be assertive , while not sounding offensive. How would you say no, at work, when you are disappointed with the work you have got at hand?


You don't. Once you've been assigned the work is too late. You want to turn the no into a yes. For example, what would you change for next time? What kind of work do you want? How do you find an opportunity to do it?

Job Discussion probably would have been a better place for this since it was a serious question. The interesting variety of replies comes from the joking of Meaningless Drivel.
 
Srikkanth Mohanasundaram
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
You don't. Once you've been assigned the work is too late.


Okay.Let us assume it is just before that and you know what's coming your way. May be that is what i intended to say earlier.

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
The interesting variety of replies comes from the joking of Meaningless Drivel.


That's Okay.It's always good
 
Marshal
Posts: 25682
69
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikkanth Mohanasundaram wrote:

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
You don't. Once you've been assigned the work is too late.


Okay.Let us assume it is just before that and you know what's coming your way. May be that is what i intended to say earlier.



Hide in the toilet.
 
Srikkanth Mohanasundaram
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
omg just say no
 
Rancher
Posts: 4686
7
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Led Estonilo wrote:omg just say no



There are two approaches, I think "I would prefer not to" is better than NO, as it indicates that you understand the request, and decline.

The second is used when this is recurring. You were hired to be a senior software engineer, and they ask you to clean the whiteboards and make coffee. The key is: do you also do software engineer? or just janitorial work? In a small company, everybody does everything, including pulling cable, making coffee, xeroxing proposals, etc.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well say it The Godfather way.

Tom Hagen telling Michael to learn how to say no from his father when he throws Tom out for some time. The Don explaining that if you want to say No to someone, make it sound that as if he is saying no. Let it come from the other person.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3851
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Open your mouth.
Ha ha ha.

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ask any Indian Girl whose parents have told her that she has to marry a guy of their choice..
She will always say NO to guys trying to woo her..
 
Sheriff
Posts: 3036
12
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Lower your pants just far enough to expose your buttocks. Point these in the direction of the person whose offer you wish to decline, and, at your discretion, wiggle them back and forth a bit. Sure, this technique is only applicable in specific cases, but it can be quite effective when those cases arise.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 92
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Charles wrote:Lower your pants just far enough to expose your buttocks.



And then get stoned or what?
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 20
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
take a paper and write 'TI OD OT EVAH TNOD UOY' .. by the time that person figures it out and tells you what you wanted to hear.. say 'thanks' and walk off
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 531
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i wish there was a job in which i had to travel all over india and world and had to give my comments on every restaurant and every cuisuine.....i would have never said no to this...why cant we create our own destiny
 
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic