I have already got 1 web app running, I have just tried to copy exactly what I did with the first one but this one doesn't seem to be working. Been comparing them in every detail but can't see where the problem lies. Hopeing a fresh pair of eyes can see the problem. Cheers.
I just installed netbeans, then on the tab in the left under Services there was an expandable file list with one of them being 'databases', then 'drivers'. I saw the JDBC Driver so I right clicked on that and set up all the details the same as I have in this servlet. This mysql db then showed up in the list with all the tables and data in. So I can get into it that way.
I needed to put the JDBC Driver .jar file inside WEB-INF/lib . I checked out the tomcat logs which mentioned the 'com.mysql.jdbc.Driver' could not be found so just started putting that file everywhere until tomcat could find it :-D