Last week, we had the author of TDD for a Shopping Website LiveProject. Friday at 11am Ranch time, Steven Solomon will be hosting a live TDD session just for us. See for the agenda and registration link
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Tim Cooke
Sheriffs:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • paul wheaton
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Himai Minh

Private Messages

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Should implement "Private Messages", as in phpbb.

The tables are already there, but I guess that may be interesting to merge jforum_privmsgs and jforum_privmsgs_text, as is done to the posts table ( jforum_posts ).

This feature is not hard to implement, just a little slow. Many of the existing features currenctly present on post and topic manipulation may be used in this feature as well..

[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In addition, like phpbb, I think the Email function should present an email form, that sends the email to the user, and hides their email address from the sender. (Rather than simply invoking a mailto: link).

The email address in the user profile should be hidden (perhaps optionally).
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Rafael Steil wrote:Should implement "Private Messages", as in phpbb.

The tables are already there, but I guess that may be interesting to merge jforum_privmsgs and jforum_privmsgs_text, as is done to the posts table ( jforum_posts ).

This feature is not hard to implement, just a little slow. Many of the existing features currenctly present on post and topic manipulation may be used in this feature as well..



Well, I do think that you should implement private messages, but that's not exactly what I meant. Let me try to explain:

In addition to Private Messaging, phpbb supports an emailing function. It does not simply launch a mailto: link. It presents a form to the sender, where they can compose a message to the recipient. It is not held on the bulletin board as a private message, it is sent out as a real email. But the recipient's email address is never revealed.

I think this is a problem in JForum, because when a new user Registers, they can choose the "Always Hide my Email" option, but their email is still revealed in a mailto: link everywhere their name appears.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Fudster]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Fudster wrote:
In addition to Private Messaging, phpbb supports an emailing function. It does not simply launch a mailto: link. It presents a form to the sender, where they can compose a message to the recipient. It is not held on the bulletin board as a private message, it is sent out as a real email. But the recipient's email address is never revealed.



Easy, not problem.

Fudster wrote:
I think this is a problem in JForum, because when a new user Registers, they can choose the "Always Hide my Email" option, but their email is still revealed in a mailto: link everywhere their name appears.



Ok, this is a bug.. not hard to fix, anyway.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
 
Whatever. Here's a tiny ad:
free, earth-friendly heat - a kickstarter for putting coin in your pocket while saving the earth
https://coderanch.com/t/751654/free-earth-friendly-heat-kickstarter
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic