Usually people worry about the tomcat-users.xml file (which appears to be OK for you), but neglect to switch on the Realm that uses it.
Tomcat (like most J2EE servers) supports a "plug-in" security system. The tomcat-users.xml file is used by the MemoryRealm and UserDataBaseRealm plugins, so you have to activate one of them. In the Tomcat6 supplied server.xml, that Realm is already coded in, but it's commented out.
Sometimes the only way things ever got fixed is because people became uncomfortable.
OK I have it working, but I'm not sure what I did that did it.
First, I attempted to see if it was a permissions issue. Since my instructions configured tomcat to run under a specific account, I gave that account (and group) blanket ownership of the files in the install directory (and below).This did not solve the problem. A coworker suggested replacing my tomcat-users.xml with the one in the distribution archive, which I did. I then added the manager-gui role to the tomcat user as follows:And at this point I can login as the user "tomcat". With it operational now, I'm a little timid about tearing it all back down and trying to reproduce my success. Hopefully this will help someone in the future, though.
Tomorrow is the first day of the new metric calendar. Comfort me tiny ad: