Win a copy of JDBC Workbook this week in the JDBC and Relational Databases forum
or A Day in Code in the A Day in Code forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Henry Wong
Sheriffs:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

About Node.js in Action

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 30
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Node is very, very hot, and I just coded in javascript for the front-end before.I wonder when I should choose JS for backend not .NET or JavaEE(I am a J2ee programmer). Which type of application is the one that Node is designed for?Asyncronous and evented nature of Node is very cool,but sometimes sequential programming is a must.How can I implement it by JS.I don't know that if all I ask is in the book named NODE.JS IN ACTION.
 
Author
Posts: 15
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Runrioter Wung wrote:Node is very, very hot, and I just coded in javascript for the front-end before.I wonder when I should choose JS for backend not .NET or JavaEE(I am a J2ee programmer). Which type of application is the one that Node is designed for?Asyncronous and evented nature of Node is very cool,but sometimes sequential programming is a must.How can I implement it by JS.I don't know that if all I ask is in the book named NODE.JS IN ACTION.



Hi Runrioter,

Node.js is great for applications that require high concurrency and minimal CPU/memory usage. So things that should feel "real-time" like online games, chat, and web applications. For a balanced look at what use-cases Node.js is most suitable for, I recommend Chris Richardson's talk "Node.JS: The Good Parts? A Skeptic's View" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0jTnSROsk).

If you need part of your application to be sequential, you can a technique called "flow control". Flow control makes asynchronous logic behave in a synchronous fashion. You can either implement flow control yourself in your application or, much easier, simply use flow control modules. One such flow control module is async (https://github.com/caolan/async).

Cheers,
Mike
 
Runrioter Wung
Ranch Hand
Posts: 30
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Cantelon wrote:

Runrioter Wung wrote:Node is very, very hot, and I just coded in javascript for the front-end before.I wonder when I should choose JS for backend not .NET or JavaEE(I am a J2ee programmer). Which type of application is the one that Node is designed for?Asyncronous and evented nature of Node is very cool,but sometimes sequential programming is a must.How can I implement it by JS.I don't know that if all I ask is in the book named NODE.JS IN ACTION.



Hi Runrioter,

Node.js is great for applications that require high concurrency and minimal CPU/memory usage. So things that should feel "real-time" like online games, chat, and web applications. For a balanced look at what use-cases Node.js is most suitable for, I recommend Chris Richardson's talk "Node.JS: The Good Parts? A Skeptic's View" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0jTnSROsk).

If you need part of your application to be sequential, you can a technique called "flow control". Flow control makes asynchronous logic behave in a synchronous fashion. You can either implement flow control yourself in your application or, much easier, simply use flow control modules. One such flow control module is async (https://github.com/caolan/async).

Cheers,
Mike


Nice! Thank you for your reply!
Cheers!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 252
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mike
Is the book focus intended for developer with web background new to node.js or some node.js knowledge is required.
Like I read somewhere when it comes to node.js, some people just "get it" the first time, others are trying to map it to something which they already know.
The reason to ask that question is I belong to second category as of now.
Regards
Bhushan
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 75
Mac Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am anxious to watch this video as it seems like it will address some of my underlying questions about Node.js. Does the book get into comparing Node.js with other application servers and when Node is the right (and wrong) choice? Also, application servers turned into these monolith beasts that did everything...and then Rod Johnson, and his bunch came around and really changed that model quite a bit with Spring. Is there another application "server" that you would compare Node.js to, and do you think it is going to avoid the monolith beast syndrome that have ruined other app servers?

Thanks
David Sachdev

Runrioter Wung wrote:

Mike Cantelon wrote:

Runrioter Wung wrote:Node is very, very hot, and I just coded in javascript for the front-end before.I wonder when I should choose JS for backend not .NET or JavaEE(I am a J2ee programmer). Which type of application is the one that Node is designed for?Asyncronous and evented nature of Node is very cool,but sometimes sequential programming is a must.How can I implement it by JS.I don't know that if all I ask is in the book named NODE.JS IN ACTION.



Hi Runrioter,

Node.js is great for applications that require high concurrency and minimal CPU/memory usage. So things that should feel "real-time" like online games, chat, and web applications. For a balanced look at what use-cases Node.js is most suitable for, I recommend Chris Richardson's talk "Node.JS: The Good Parts? A Skeptic's View" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0jTnSROsk).

Cheers,
Mike


Nice! Thank you for your reply!
Cheers!

 
Don't count your weasels before they've popped. And now for a mulberry bush related tiny ad:
Devious Experiments for a Truly Passive Greenhouse!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/greenhouse-1
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic