I passed the JP7 upgrade today with 73%. Feel happy and a bit of stress off my back. Yet when I clicked "Finished", I didn't get my results on the screen. I thought to myself "WTF give me that green bar or something". But it tells me to go check email in like 30mins... what 30mins?! Anyway I did that like once I'm out the door of the testing center ... and that says log in to Oracle CertView. All that on my cell.
Resources I used for preparing the upgrade:
- Read through the OCA study guide by Mala Gupta to refresh the basics and get into studying mode (attempt mock afterwards)
- Then read through OCP study guide by Ganesh & Sharma (attempt mocks afterwards)
- Skim through the book "Java 7 New Features Cookbook" by Richard Reese & Jennifer Reese
- Look through the javadocs especially packages related to NIO, JDBC, concurrency in particular (from top of my head) java.nio.file.Files, java.nio.file.Path, java.nio.file.Paths, java.nio.file.WatchService, java.sql.CallableStatement, java.sql.PreparedStatement, javax.sql.RowSet and its sub-interfaces, java.util.concurrent interfaces, java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock
- read about resource bundles and locales and internationalization (java tutorial should be enough if you have done before)
- Also review regular expression, date/time formats, Singleton/DAO/Factory design patterns
try-with-resources statement, know that the closing of the resources is reverse order (bottom up) given they are not null. This is stated in the JLS7 section 14.20.3 first paragraph (p407).
Another for switch statements: passing in null will throw runtime exception.
Know the differences for NIO between relativize() and normalize()
Familiarize yourself with those NIO CopyOptions and attributes