Win a copy of Testing JavaScript Applications this week in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

What to do after I finish MIT course?

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, I'm David. I was wondering what I should do after completing this introduction to Java programming course: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-092-introduction-to-programming-in-java-january-iap-2010/index.htm

I don't want to just contribute to projects or create my own software. I want to continue learning Java programming with online courses, books, etc.

I have no idea on how I'm going to continue my learning.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 954
4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You may also try to learn data structure and algorithm course. But in my personal opinion you should also try to practice
what you have learnt.
 
David Holcomb
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tushar Goel wrote:You may also try to learn data structure and algorithm course. But in my personal opinion you should also try to practice
what you have learnt.



Thank you for your reply. I will always practice what I learn.

I'll probably take a data structure and algorithm course in no particular order, then learn some web development.

If anyone else has any ideas on what I could do to continue learning, please feel free to post them.
 
Marshal
Posts: 69863
278
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

David Holcomb wrote: . . . I don't want to just contribute to projects or create my own software. . . .

I am afraid that contributing to projects and creating your own software are exactly the things you should do.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 789
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

David Holcomb wrote:Hello, I'm David. I was wondering what I should do after completing this introduction to Java programming course: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-092-introduction-to-programming-in-java-january-iap-2010/index.htm

I don't want to just contribute to projects or create my own software. I want to continue learning Java programming with online courses, books, etc.

I have no idea on how I'm going to continue my learning.



Somewhere MIT posts their catalog of classes for a particular degree programs. You could find that and do the next class in the series. I know of one guy who used opencourseware to do a whole MIT degree in CS. Of course at the end there was no actual degree, but no $200,000 debt either... Classes on EDx are the same ones but more fun because the assignments are graded and there's discussion.
 
David Holcomb
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Guillermo Ishi wrote:
Somewhere MIT posts their catalog of classes for a particular degree programs. You could find that and do the next class in the series. I know of one guy who used opencourseware to do a whole MIT degree in CS. Of course at the end there was no actual degree, but no $200,000 debt either... Classes on EDx are the same ones but more fun because the assignments are graded and there's discussion.



I found a course that I'll take next: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-005-elements-of-software-construction-fall-2011/index.htm

 
a fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool - shakespeare. foolish tiny ad:
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic