Win a copy of Head First Android this week in the Android forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Al Hobbs
  • salvin francis

java books question by email

 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40797
829
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I got this question by email. Replying in the forum to encourage readers to UseTheForumNotEmail

I am new to the Java Ranch forum. I am studying with the Java Certification Kit. With the goal that I can get my Associate and Professional certifications. I am needing to ask you. Is it worth purchasing the book called "Head First Java".

Since it just covers Java 5. What's more, I additionally have the book called "The JavaScript Ninja". Would I be able to have your opinion and recommendations for these. And other friendly Java books to read. Since for reasons unknown. I generally need to have diverse perspectives when studying and learning something. Forgive me for not posting in the forum. I am still new to it.

 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 40797
829
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Head First Java is an excellent book. In fact, it is one of the book options we recommend as a pre-req to our Java cert book. You are correct it only goes up to Java 5. That gets the basics and gets you in a position to understand our book.

Another good book that covers the latest topics as well is Cay Horstmann's Core Java. And the Murach's intro to Java books have a very unique style so definitely counts as a diverse perspective.

Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja is an awesome book. However it is about JavaScript, not Java. Since it covers a different language, it isn't going to help you for the certification.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sorry about that Jeanne.

If I would have waited until I received you book in the mail. I would have already had the answers to my questions.... I have another question. I am already studying your certification kit. But I am still studying for the 1z0-808 exam. Would you recommend some more study tips that are not already listed in the book. Could I read each chapter and then go over the online flash cards? I have another thing to ask. I also went ahead and purchased the "Head First Java 2nd edition" book. Would you know if you can download the work sheets so you can print them out. And work on them separately without marking up the book. I checked on the website. But they only have the sample codes for each chapter available for download.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.

~ Angel
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 40797
829
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Angel Delacruz wrote:If I would have waited until I received you book in the mail. I would have already had the answers to my questions....


No worries. It meant I had the answers prepared .

Angel Delacruz wrote:Could I read each chapter and then go over the online flash cards?


The flash cards aren't organized by chapter so that probably isn't going to be helpful.

Angel Delacruz wrote:I have another thing to ask. I also went ahead and purchased the "Head First Java 2nd edition" book. Would you know if you can download the work sheets so you can print them out. And work on them separately without marking up the book. I checked on the website. But they only have the sample codes for each chapter available for download.


I don't think they make that available. For at least some of them, you could search for "sharpen your pencil" in the Amazon preview of the book and screenshot/print them. (I don't know if this work for the later chapter,s but it'll definitely work for the ones in the first half or so.)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 401
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Head First Java is an excellent book. In fact, it is one of the book options we recommend as a pre-req to our Java cert book. You are correct it only goes up to Java 5. That gets the basics and gets you in a position to understand our book.

Another good book that covers the latest topics as well is Cay Horstmann's Core Java. And the Murach's intro to Java books have a very unique style so definitely counts as a diverse perspective.

Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja is an awesome book. However it is about JavaScript, not Java. Since it covers a different language, it isn't going to help you for the certification.


Hi

Indeed Head First Java is a very spectacular easy guide book that  helped me to easily grasp the
 jar creation procedure .
This is as supportive cordination for this book
Thanks
As
CRMK

 
 
 
 
Angel Delacruz
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Jeanne,

I know that Java 9 is soon to be released. Should I wait and read up on the new features that 9 will have?

Or just take my exam and get OCA certified in 8 and take the OCP cert. in 9?

Can I take the OCP in 9 if I get the OCA cert. in 8?

Would you know when you are going to release the study guide for OCA/OCP 9?

Thanks...
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 40797
829
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Angel Delacruz wrote:I know that Java 9 is soon to be released. Should I wait and read up on the new features that 9 will have?  


I wouldn't wait. Java 9 isn't being released for months. Then Oracle has to start creating the exams for Java 9. I think it'll be a while.

Angel Delacruz wrote:Or just take my exam and get OCA certified in 8 and take the OCP cert. in 9?

Can I take the OCP in 9 if I get the OCA cert. in 8?  


Probably not as it you can't take the OCA 7 and then the OCP 8.

Angel Delacruz wrote:Would you know when you are going to release the study guide for OCA/OCP 9?


We haven't started writing it yet. The exam objectives don't exist yet and those are important for releasing a study guide!
 
Angel Delacruz
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you very much Jeanne. I really appreciate it. I feel so cool I get advice from a Java Superstar.  
 
Angel Delacruz
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Jeanne,

Have you had any news.

For when the study guide for Java SE 9.

Is going to be scheduled for its release?
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Posts: 40797
829
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Angel,
Same answer as nothing as changed except the release of Java 9 itself being delayed. Java doesn't even get released until later this month. Then Oracle needs to create the exam and study guides need to come out.
 
With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic