Win a copy of Svelte and Sapper in Action this week in the JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Junilu Lacar
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Tim Cooke
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • salvin francis
  • Frits Walraven
Bartenders:
  • Scott Selikoff
  • Piet Souris
  • Carey Brown

What's the difference between this and the OCA Java 8 book?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 38
Android Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm studying for the OCA Java 8 exam and have the study guide for it. Just wondering what's different in this book and whether it'll help me or not.

Also, roughly, what is covered by this book in the OCP sections? I ask because I am genuinely learning a few interesting things from the OCA book that I'm using in my personal projects, but I have no idea what the OCP exam covers.

Lastly, are there any other books you guys have out in Java? The OCA book rocks!

Thanks,
Marc
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40200
816
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Marc Laffan wrote:I'm studying for the OCA Java 8 exam and have the study guide for it. Just wondering what's different in this book and whether it'll help me or not.


This book is practice questions to supplement your understanding. You can use it for review, to become faster at answering questions and/or to do better at a topic you feel weak at.

Marc Laffan wrote:Also, roughly, what is covered by this book in the OCP sections? I ask because I am genuinely learning a few interesting things from the OCA book that I'm using in my personal projects, but I have no idea what the OCP exam covers.


Happy to hear you are learning useful things. The OCP book covers the OCP objectives listed here under "review exam topics". Note that you'll want to use the OCP Study Guide for learning topics and "interesting things." The practice Tests book assumes you are familiar with the material. It reinforces it so you can score better on the exam.

Marc Laffan wrote:Lastly, are there any other books you guys have out in Java? The OCA book rocks!


We have three Java books:
  • OCA Study Guide
  • OCP Study Guide
  • OCA/OCP Practice Exam questions (this book)
  •  
    author
    Posts: 4223
    33
    jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    This book also includes an online component, which means all of the questions can be taken using Sybex's interactive tool.  In other words, purchasing this book gives you access to both a written material as well as a full online mock exam simulator.
     
    Marc Laffan
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 38
    Android Ruby Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Ah, so it's essentially new questions on the same material. So it'd be a good idea to have the OCA book first right?

    Also, are the online questions just the ones from the book or are there additional ones (Kinda like Enthuware)?

    Thanks again!
     
    Scott Selikoff
    author
    Posts: 4223
    33
    jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator

    Marc Laffan wrote:Ah, so it's essentially new questions on the same material. So it'd be a good idea to have the OCA book first right?

    Also, are the online questions just the ones from the book or are there additional ones (Kinda like Enthuware)?



    The 1000+ questions in the book match the ones online, so it's more about which format you prefer to take them in.
     
    I hired a bunch of ninjas. The fridge is empty, but I can't find them to tell them the mission.
    the value of filler advertising in 2020
    https://coderanch.com/t/730886/filler-advertising
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
    • New Topic