Win a copy of 97 Things Every Java Programmer Should Know this week in the Java in General forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Henry Wong
Sheriffs:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

Questions about the Spring Framework

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What view technology can be used with the Spring framework besides JSP?

Does the Spring framework allow the use of making calls to stored procedures through MyBatis?

Which servers can Spring applications be deployed on? Can they be deployed on Resin or WebSphere?
 
Bartender
Posts: 1264
39
IBM DB2 Netbeans IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1.Spring is essentially a backend technology, so you can design your UI using the framework you prefer. Most of times, you will expose some REST aoi to a modern web frontend.
2.Yes, you can use mybatis with spring, provided that you are running a supported configuration (spring 5, mybatys 2, JDK 8).Have a look at Mybatis web site for further details.
3.Yes, you can deploy a Spring project in a Websphere ( or other appserver) instance,  but it's not a solution I have personally seen many times. More often I've seen spring deployed in a lightweight web container like tomcat (with spring) , or very often as standalone application with an embedded tomcat instance (spring boot).
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Q: What view technology can be used with the Spring framework besides JSP?
A:  JSP if you want to return HTML.  Jackon for REST JSON (restful services).  There are also libraries for XML, but I am unfamiliar with them.

Q: Does the Spring framework allow the use of making calls to stored procedures through MyBatis?
A: You can use raw JDBC or use the connection pool of your container (example JNDI) to call stored procs.  They are just database calls.  I have no experience with MyBatis.  I do recommend avoiding Hibernate because it abstracts database transactions in what in my opinion is a bad way.  If you like to bring your database down because of unreleased connections use Hibernate, ha ha.

Q: Which servers can Spring applications be deployed on? Can they be deployed on Resin or WebSphere?
Any J2EE container.  WebSphere and Weblogic would be overkill because you don't need EJB's if you have Spring.  Tomcat and derivatives like Jboss are good.  I really like Tomcat.  It's solid and simple.  If you don't need anything more then that is my choice.  My favorite fully stacked J2EE container is Weblogic.  WebSphere is the worst J2EE container I have dealt with, especially since it doesn't support autodeploy by simple class file update in an expanded jar.  Websphere is supposedly integrated with Irad, but they both seem to be really unstable when used together for development.
 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 22122
151
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have been using Spring Framework with JavaServer Faces successfully for years. It integrates very nicely, thanks to a bridge that allows Spring Objects to be seen like they're JSF objects. My primary use for Spring has been with Spring Data/JPA where I use Spring to interact with Hibernate JPA or Apache OpenJPA. However, I've used other components such as Spring's scheduler, email interface and many more.

I think just about any web framework that does backend processing can benefit from Spring. And of course, non-web applications as well. For example, I've written off-line database utilities that use Spring JPA. Spring JPA automatically handles a lot of grunt work that brute-force JPA would require you to (correctly!) code over and over again. I think that I've even used Spring to help handle ReST services, although it's been long enough that I forget details. And I've used Spring Data's Neo4J for a node-based DBMS project.

I also think that there may be an iBatis implementation of Spring JPA or at least Spring Data. I've never worked with iBatis, although I did work with JDO before JPA became the ORM standard. And my impression is that iBatis is both JPA-like and has Spring support. But check their docs before believing me
 
Rancher
Posts: 527
6
IntelliJ IDE Spring Fedora
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Spring does have support for ibatis/mybatis.    It isn't jpa but it does handle object mapping.
 
Fred Victa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Claude Moore wrote:1.Spring is essentially a backend technology, so you can design your UI using the framework you prefer. Most of times, you will expose some REST aoi to a modern web frontend.
2.Yes, you can use mybatis with spring, provided that you are running a supported configuration (spring 5, mybatys 2, JDK 8).Have a look at Mybatis web site for further details.
3.Yes, you can deploy a Spring project in a Websphere ( or other appserver) instance,  but it's not a solution I have personally seen many times. More often I've seen spring deployed in a lightweight web container like tomcat (with spring) , or very often as standalone application with an embedded tomcat instance (spring boot).



Thank you for answering my questions.
 
Fred Victa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Matthew Keller wrote:Q: What view technology can be used with the Spring framework besides JSP?
A:  JSP if you want to return HTML.  Jackon for REST JSON (restful services).  There are also libraries for XML, but I am unfamiliar with them.

Q: Does the Spring framework allow the use of making calls to stored procedures through MyBatis?
A: You can use raw JDBC or use the connection pool of your container (example JNDI) to call stored procs.  They are just database calls.  I have no experience with MyBatis.  I do recommend avoiding Hibernate because it abstracts database transactions in what in my opinion is a bad way.  If you like to bring your database down because of unreleased connections use Hibernate, ha ha.

Q: Which servers can Spring applications be deployed on? Can they be deployed on Resin or WebSphere?
Any J2EE container.  WebSphere and Weblogic would be overkill because you don't need EJB's if you have Spring.  Tomcat and derivatives like Jboss are good.  I really like Tomcat.  It's solid and simple.  If you don't need anything more then that is my choice.  My favorite fully stacked J2EE container is Weblogic.  WebSphere is the worst J2EE container I have dealt with, especially since it doesn't support autodeploy by simple class file update in an expanded jar.  Websphere is supposedly integrated with Irad, but they both seem to be really unstable when used together for development.



Thank you for answering my questions.
 
Fred Victa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Holloway wrote:I have been using Spring Framework with JavaServer Faces successfully for years. It integrates very nicely, thanks to a bridge that allows Spring Objects to be seen like they're JSF objects. My primary use for Spring has been with Spring Data/JPA where I use Spring to interact with Hibernate JPA or Apache OpenJPA. However, I've used other components such as Spring's scheduler, email interface and many more.

I think just about any web framework that does backend processing can benefit from Spring. And of course, non-web applications as well. For example, I've written off-line database utilities that use Spring JPA. Spring JPA automatically handles a lot of grunt work that brute-force JPA would require you to (correctly!) code over and over again. I think that I've even used Spring to help handle ReST services, although it's been long enough that I forget details. And I've used Spring Data's Neo4J for a node-based DBMS project.

I also think that there may be an iBatis implementation of Spring JPA or at least Spring Data. I've never worked with iBatis, although I did work with JDO before JPA became the ORM standard. And my impression is that iBatis is both JPA-like and has Spring support. But check their docs before believing me



Thank you for answering my questions.
 
Fred Victa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Al Hobbs wrote:Spring does have support for ibatis/mybatis.    It isn't jpa but it does handle object mapping.



Thank you for answering my question.
 
This. Exactly this. This is what my therapist has been talking about. And now with a tiny ad:
ScroogeXHTML 9.0 - RTF to HTML5 and XHTML converter
https://coderanch.com/t/731949/ScroogeXHTML-RTF-HTML-XHTML-converter
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic