This week's book giveaway is in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum.
We're giving away four copies of Testing JavaScript Applications and have Lucas da Costa on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of Testing JavaScript Applications this week in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

Java 11 upgrade exam (1Z0-817)

 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40035
809
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm now "double certified". I've passed all three of the part 1 (1Z0-815), part 2 (1Z0-816) and upgrade (1Z0-817).

My blog posts on these
  • part 1 (1Z0-815)
  • part 2 (1Z0-816)
  • upgrade (1Z0-817)
  • should I take the 816 or 817
  • what does it mean to be Java 11 certified
  •  
    Rancher
    Posts: 261
    12
    IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Congrats, Jeanne!!  

    Thanks for sharing your experiences.
     
    Greenhorn
    Posts: 2
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Yeah, congrats !!
    A weird coincidence I also passed 1z0-817 today :
    Don't forget to add your name to the wall of fame : https://coderanch.com/wiki/659976/OCPJP-Wall-Fame
     
    Marshal
    Posts: 69889
    278
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Congratulations, both of you
     
    Campbell Ritchie
    Marshal
    Posts: 69889
    278
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    . . . and, RB, welcome to the Ranch
     
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 70
    1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Congratulations, Jeanne and Richard, and thanks for the blog posts Jeanne!

    I’m curious about the "Major topics people who are OCA 7/8 certified can avoid that those starting with a Java 11 cert must know" listing in the what does it mean to be Java 11 certified  post. Have we not already been examined on these, apart from annotations and secure coding(? not sure what these last two are)?

    That brings me to a whine which has been fermenting in my soul (apologies re length for any who read it   )...

    On the one hand I can appreciate that Oracle has to draw the line somewhere in terms of the number of different upgrade exams they provide based on a candidate's previous certification, but on the other hand they certainly charge enough for them – surely having just a single offering for those with OCP 6, 7 or 8 is unfair to the latter?

    My route so far has been OCA 7, OCP 7, -> OCP 8 via 1ZO-810. I don't yet have any professional experience (I'm trying to get into software development, and without a CS degree - a long shot, I know), so I realise this may colour my perceptions - though I code small personal projects and HackerRank problems etc, I know that API details I've learned but don't happen to have used for a while are slipping away below the level of exam readiness in my head.

    So I'm disgruntled about how much it seems I would have to revisit for 1Z0-817, i.e. material not new to Java 9/10/11:
    -- Try-with-resources and multi-catch , plus NIO.2, which I studied for OCP 7, but not the upgrade to 8(!)
    -- Lambdas and all the streams API details I studied for the upgrade to 8 (seemingly everything except the Date/Time API?...ha, so now I've been through that and the previous deprecated version, while Java 11 'direct' candidates do not have to cover either!)

    On the other hand it seems I avoid having to study a few new (post-8) features (annotations and secure coding? - I'm not sure where these are described) – I know I can explore these by myself, but surely it would be better to have them included them in a separate 8->9 upgrade exam in place of the repeated material?

    (And then, on a tangent, the appearance to the uninitiated that OCP for Java 8 is 3 versions behind the current 11.)

    I wonder if there is any chance Oracle would reconsider the upgrade situation. Anyone know of any petitions on this? Suppose I could write to them (ha ha)...
     
    Jeanne Boyarsky
    author & internet detective
    Posts: 40035
    809
    Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator

    Elaine Byrne wrote:So I'm disgruntled about how much it seems I would have to revisit for 1Z0-817, i.e. material not new to Java 9/10/11:
    -- Try-with-resources and multi-catch , plus NIO.2, which I studied for OCP 7, but not the upgrade to 8(!)
    -- Lambdas and all the streams API details I studied for the upgrade to 8 (seemingly everything except the Date/Time API?...ha, so now I've been through that and the previous deprecated version, while Java 11 'direct' candidates do not have to cover either!)


    At the same time, you will probably find those topics easier than modules. So it adds some balance to the exam rather than everything being a new topic.

    Elaine Byrne wrote:On the other hand it seems I avoid having to study a few new (post-8) features (annotations and secure coding? - I'm not sure where these are described) – I know I can explore these by myself, but surely it would be better to have them included them in a separate 8->9 upgrade exam in place of the repeated material?


    Note that these are not new topics to Java 9/10/11. They are new to the exam. To learn about them:
  • Oracle annotations trail
  • Oracle's Secure Coding Guide


  • Elaine Byrne wrote:
    (And then, on a tangent, the appearance to the uninitiated that OCP for Java 8 is 3 versions behind the current 11.)


    You mean like HR? Because a dev team would know about the 6 month release model.

    Elaine Byrne wrote:
    I wonder if there is any chance Oracle would reconsider the upgrade situation. Anyone know of any petitions on this? Suppose I could write to them (ha ha)...


    A similar problem existed for Java 8. You had to know different topics based on what path you took. So I think it is intentional.
     
    Elaine Byrne
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 70
    1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Thanks, Jeanne
     
    Look! I laid an egg! Why does it smell like that? Tiny ad, does this smell weird to you?
    Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
    https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
    • New Topic