I decided to do the OCPJEE7AD some weeks ago. And I got the Oracle Java subscription (50% off, Blackfriday deal). I have experienced a lot of problems setting up my environment to work like told in the Developing Applications for the Java EE 7 Platform video course.
So I wanted to share my experience here, so maybe I can help out one or two of you guys.
First of all:
If you are new to Oracle university, as I am, it seems you dont even have to setup the stuff on your local computer anyways. There is a feature called LABS and its free as long as you use the subscription. You get a remote desktop to where you can install and configure your stuff.You will need some software called Oracle Secure Global Server installed on your computer to connect to your test environment. You will have to schedule via learn.oracle.com (inside your course) to get these resources and a mail with connection details. See also: https://www.oracle.com/de/secure-global-desktop/. When you downloaded it under Ubuntu and the deb file won't install correctly call it in your console (sudo apt install
./sgdclient_5.40.935-ubuntu16.04_x86_64.deb), so that you can see if missing dependencies need to be installed too.
If you are also interested in setting this up manually on your computer, like I did, you may experience some problems. I tried it under Ubuntu 18 and did the following steps in this order to solve it:
- Search for and downloada Oracle JDK 1.8 (NOT OpenJDK!). It isnt included in SDKMAN so you have to download it manually. Use the TAR/ZIP version! Just extract it
- Then correctly setup JAVA_HOME!
- You will then be able to download and install WebLogic 12c without problems as it will find the right Java 1.8 version.
- Then download NetBeans 8.1 (really THIS version, no newer ones! Its the one you need for this course and it works)
- Start NetBeans via console with the following parameter: --jdkhome /opt/jdk-8u231-linux-x64/jdk1.8.0_231/