• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Piet Souris
Bartenders:
  • Frits Walraven
  • Himai Minh

OCP Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 11 Developer Complete Study Guide migration path

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 16
2
IntelliJ IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeanne and Scott.
First of all, thank you a lot for the magnificent material you're always able to provide to all of us for the Oracle certifications.

I've taken already the OCAJP8 and OCPJP8 so, according to Oracle's certification paths, I should be able to take the upgrade path: https://education.oracle.com/upgrade-ocp-java-6-7-8-to-java-se-11-developer/pexam_1Z0-817
Given that I would need to review some of the topics of the OCPJ8, would you suggest to study the entire study guide or to take just the second book and repeat the OCPJ8 topics from that book?

Moreover, I saw that the exam 1Z0-816 is going to be replaced soon by the 1Z0-819 exam. Do you know if this could somehow have an impact on the study material? (aka, should I wait before buying the book(s)?).

Kind regards and thanks again for all your efforts.
- Cosimo
 
author
Posts: 4278
34
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you're going to take the 1Z0-817 Upgrade exam (which has not been retired) then either our Programmer II or the Complete Study Guide are appropriate.  We wrote an appendix in the Programmer II book specifically for those taking the upgrade exam.

If you want to take the 1Z0-819 exam, though, you should either pick up the Complete Study Guide, or both Programmer I and Programmer II books.  Since the CSG is 1200+ pages, though, I tend to find the two smaller books easier to read from.  Both have the same material in them.
 
Cosimo Damiano Prete
Greenhorn
Posts: 16
2
IntelliJ IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Scott Selikoff wrote:If you're going to take the 1Z0-817 Upgrade exam (which has not been retired) then either our Programmer II or the Complete Study Guide are appropriate.  We wrote an appendix in the Programmer II book specifically for those taking the upgrade exam.

If you want to take the 1Z0-819 exam, though, you should either pick up the Complete Study Guide, or both Programmer I and Programmer II books.  Since the CSG is 1200+ pages, though, I tend to find the two smaller books easier to read from.  Both have the same material in them.



Hi Scott.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm a bit confused about the requirements now. Am I right, or in order to take the 1Z0-819 I need to do (and pass) the Programmer I exam first? If I follow the upgrade path, that should not be necessary, right?

Kind regards,
- Cosimo
 
Scott Selikoff
author
Posts: 4278
34
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cosimo Damiano Prete wrote:
I'm a bit confused about the requirements now. Am I right, or in order to take the 1Z0-819 I need to do (and pass) the Programmer I exam first? If I follow the upgrade path, that should not be necessary, right?



There are no requirements to take the 1Z0-819 exam.  To take the 1Z0-817 upgrade exam, you need to hold a previous OCP certification.  Since you are also OCA8 certified, you can even take the 1Z0-816 exam while it's still around to become certified, per this document:  https://www.oracle.com/a/ocom/docs/dc/ou-5021-java-se11-faq-4.pdf

There are other upgrade paths, but since you have an OCPA and OCP8 cert title you have a lot of choices.
 
Cosimo Damiano Prete
Greenhorn
Posts: 16
2
IntelliJ IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Scott Selikoff wrote:

Cosimo Damiano Prete wrote:
I'm a bit confused about the requirements now. Am I right, or in order to take the 1Z0-819 I need to do (and pass) the Programmer I exam first? If I follow the upgrade path, that should not be necessary, right?



There are no requirements to take the 1Z0-819 exam.  To take the 1Z0-817 upgrade exam, you need to hold a previous OCP certification.  Since you are also OCA8 certified, you can even take the 1Z0-816 exam while it's still around to become certified, per this document:  https://www.oracle.com/a/ocom/docs/dc/ou-5021-java-se11-faq-4.pdf

There are other upgrade paths, but since you have an OCPA and OCP8 cert title you have a lot of choices.



Hi Scott.
Thank you very much for the useful link. That's really helpful since the website is a bit messy

Kind regards,
- Cosimo
 
Let nothing stop you! Not even this tiny ad:
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic