• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Piet Souris
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Jesse Duncan
  • Frits Walraven
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Developer == Long Hours

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 974
11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have worked for several companies in the Netherlands and mostly 40 hours is 40 hours, and if you work more hours, you get them paid. There was one company though, lead by a owner-founder, not that big, but not that small either, 50 people. The guy said if your product was not finished on time, it's your own fault and you have to work overtime. But if you delivered him a planning he would say, the customer thinks it's too expensive, it must be done in less time. Hence I worked 60 hours and was paid 40. The guy then complained I did not socialize enough. Well I was working very hard in a for me new technology. It was complete hell. It gave me neck and shoulder problems, RSI. The owner-founder, to make it even worse, constantly claimed that in his company you would have more freedom and more responsibilities, and this was the best place to work in. To me it seemed that you worked like a free lancer, on (virtual, semi) 'time contracts', but was paid as a employee, and the difference, he would put that in his own pocket. Nice freedom!

I left that company after 16 months. I guess this kind of boss is more common, and I have been lucky.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 343
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jan de Boer wrote:I left that company after 16 months. I guess this kind of boss is more common, and I have been lucky.



I think the opposite - that kind of place is uncommon, and you were unlucky. This is one area where being "social" is in your best interests; having a good network gives you an idea of what places to avoid.

Cheers!

Luke
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 163
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This thread is mowing the green grass on the other side of my fence. Maybe things aren't so bad at my job...
 
Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
Posts: 974
11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Luke Kolin wrote:

Jan de Boer wrote:I left that company after 16 months. I guess this kind of boss is more common, and I have been lucky.



I think the opposite - that kind of place is uncommon, and you were unlucky. This is one area where being "social" is in your best interests; having a good network gives you an idea of what places to avoid.

Cheers!

Luke



Ah, well to tell you the truth this experience makes me cautious when considering changing jobs. I sometimes think, what if it is like company-X again? Then I am in trouble since in this crisis, quickly changing jobs is difficult. Thanks for the advice.
 
Bartender
Posts: 2407
36
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jan de Boer wrote:Ah, well to tell you the truth this experience makes me cautious when considering changing jobs. I sometimes think, what if it is like company-X again? Then I am in trouble since in this crisis, quickly changing jobs is difficult. Thanks for the advice.


I don't know what it's like in the Netherlands, but as a contractor I've worked in lots of places in the UK and Germany, and I've only seen one or two places that were as bad as your example.
 
For my next feat, I will require a volunteer from the audience! Perhaps this tiny ad?
Free, earth friendly heat - from the CodeRanch trailboss
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/free-heat
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic