• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Rob Spoor
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Sheriffs:
  • Henry Wong
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Al Hobbs
  • Mikalai Zaikin
  • Piet Souris

5.5.20 compiler problem or connectivity configuration problem?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 49
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,

I'm a relative newbie, migrating a simple webapp from tomcat 4.1 to 5.5.20. Or, rather, not successfully (yet) migrating it.

Most of my app's jsp pages load just fine, but the ones that don't give me the following error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Error getting connection: "Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'"



I've researched this error ad nauseum--lots of people have gotten something similar which usually has to do with problems with the context.xml configuration. But: Most people, when they're getting this error, seem to be getting a MySQL exception, not a JasperException...which leads me to think that perhaps I've got some problem with compiling the jsp, even though the problem also seems to be a connection problem. Here's a more verbose stack trace:


Some roads I have gone down already, and some details about my configuration:
-- I am trying to migrate from tomcat 4.1 to 5.5
-- I am using Java 1.5
-- I have the driver (mysql-connector-java-3.0.9-stable-bin.jar) in both:
apache-tomcat-5.5.20\webapps\purity\WEB-INF\lib and
apache-tomcat-5.5.20\common\lib
just to cover my newbie bases
-- I have the context.xml in apache-tomcat-5.5.20\conf\Catalina\localhost
-- I am deploying my webapp manually (not a WAR)

My question is this: Can anybody point me in another direction here? I seem to have the context.xml stuff right...so do y'all have an intuition that my problem is something even more basic? Do you think it's a jsp problem or a connectivity problem (some of my jsp's compile just fine, btw)?

I have been sifting through this very helpful resource for a day and a half now, and have yet to find the solution to this problem--though I've learned a lot about tomcat,and about some similar problems. Any help (even a pointer) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[ October 24, 2006: Message edited by: Jeff Pollet ]
[ October 24, 2006: Message edited by: Jeff Pollet ]
 
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Posts: 13078
6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Since it is a runtime exception, Jasper must have created a java source file for the translated servlet.

If this was my problem I would be looking at the created source in the work directory. It looks like something about the created code is really garbaged up around line 115 in the RetrReport_jsp.java code.

Bill
 
Jeff Pollet
Ranch Hand
Posts: 49
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
William--Thanks for your help/insight. I checked out the work directory, as per your suggestion, and it led me to believe that what's really going on is a problem with my database resource configurations, though I'm still not 100% sure about that. But I learned enough to ask some better questions.

Thanks again for your help.
 
When people don’t understand what you are doing they call you crazy. But this tiny ad just doesn't care:
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic