Originally posted by Mike JOSEPH:
1. Is it feasible or risky to develop an application that is targeting a mass market using Java?
2. Are there any situations where Java should not be used?
3. Can anyone point me to guidelines for developing for the desktop using Java?
Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these questions.
1. I'd say it is definately feasible. Warren's point about a VM not being available is important, but can be circumvented by packaging your product in a good installer which also installs a VM if necessary.
2. For cross-platform business applications (which is what your question is about if I understand correctly), I cant really think of anything.
Perhaps if you need it to work with certain other products that do not support Java.
3. There is a Swing Trail or something like that on Sun's website. It gives a decent quick overview of what is available in Swing.
[ March 10, 2004: Message edited by: Maarten Vergouwen ]