Originally posted by Paul Clapham:
Did you try both of them?
Although I have to say, I wouldn't expect mail clients to render a complicated structure like that consistently anyway. Hotmail and Lotus Notes don't always agree on how to render a message.
I did the multipart/alternative that contains a multipart/related and it worked with everything I tried so far except an old Mozilla mail client.
Talking of Lotus Notes we do use it here and when I sent the multipart/alternative that contains a multipart/related to Lotus Notes and then forwarded it back to that Mozilla mail client it worked and I noticed that Notes had instead sent a multipart/related that contains a multipart/alternative...
With Mozilla Thunderbird both ways work so I don't know if it's a quirk of that old Mozilla mail client or not...
(And both ways seems to work with other MUAs as well)
I must confess that I am a little wary of using one over the other just based on the testing I can do with the MUAs (mail clients) I use (or can use to do some tests) and I must confess that I find the multipart/related that contains the multipart/alternative a little unnatural (but maybe I'm misunderstanding their use).
Thank you for your help!